Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

potty traing sutistic dd with hyposensitivity

(9 Posts)
Crawling Sat 10-Nov-12 09:00:13

Dd does not even realise she has peed 70% of the time she continues to sit in a pool of urine showing no reaction. We have been trying using a sweet as a reward for peeing in the potty but when i point out she has peed herself (i just gently remind pee needs to go in the potty) sje sits on the potty doing nothing for a hour refusing to get up until she has peed in the potty.

How do you potty train a child who cant feel the urge to pee or even when they are sat in a pool of urine? Anyone any experience? Will she ever be able to be potty trained?

Crawling Sat 10-Nov-12 09:01:09

Ps sorry about typos i am on my phone.

Ineedalife Sat 10-Nov-12 09:16:01

How old is she crawling?

She might just not be ready. I am no expert but I do know if they are not ready it can be very tough goingsad

HecatePropylaea Sat 10-Nov-12 09:19:32

I didn't. Mine were 5 and 6 by the time they came out of nappies.

they just weren't ready. My eldest is 13 now and we still have soiling issues.

Potty training just didn't work. We tried a few times but it was clear it was not going to work and it was just distressing them.

and then one day, my youngest got up, I changed his nappy, he took the new one off, flung it across the room and started using the toilet grin

And my older one saw this and started doing the same. Although he's had more problems.

It's a whole different thing than potty training an nt child.

HecatePropylaea Sat 10-Nov-12 09:20:53

Oh, meant to say that through the whole time, we kept potties around the place, we gave them nappy free time, we modelled potty and toilet use with dolls, that sort of thing.

Crawling Sat 10-Nov-12 09:49:05

She is 3.4 we have been trying 6 months now hecate thank you my major concern was she would always require a nappy but hopefully she will just do it later like your dc.

Ineedalife Sat 10-Nov-12 09:55:31

crawling for your own sanity, I would go back to nappies for 6 months and then try again.

I know people have mixed feelings about pullups but many parents I have worked with have had some success with them. If you use pull ups it means whenever you go to the loo she can sit on the loo or potty and start to build it into her routine without the stress of wet pants all the time.

Someone will probably come along and tell me off because I know it is not a popular view after but 7 years working working in preschool I have seen my fair share of potty training children both with and without special needs.

Good luck whatever you decidesmile

Crawling Sat 10-Nov-12 10:04:19

Ineedalife im going to use nappies again as i am finding it hard and i do feel dd is not ready I just thought id ask on here in case someone had some wonderful words of wisdom. Thank you maybe ill try again when shes 4but its good to know others agree with my decision to take a break.

auntevil Sat 10-Nov-12 10:31:27

If it's any consolation - I have had problems with all 3 of mine.
DS1 was clean daytime by 3.6. DS2 who is NT (ish - as many are!) is still not aware when he has soiled, he is 7.7, ds3 (has referral to OT re motor skills) also not aware when he is soiled, he is 5.4.
They are still being investigated as to what is causing the lack of awareness. I have been done pretty much all the advised routes from professionals over the years. The only opinion that I have is to make sure that they have a good regular routine for going to the toilet - regardless of whether they do anything or not. Get the system in place, so that when they are ready, it is seamless.
Good routine also includes sitting for a reasonable amount of time (reading, playing i-pad!) so they are not tempted to get off.
good luck - and don't stress too much, or put too much pressure on to 'perform'. You know what it's like, if you're asked to do a sample - it just doesn't happen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now