Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

genetic testing - confused.com

(8 Posts)
MandiH69 Fri 09-Nov-12 21:35:14

Hi -first post so please bear with me!! My Ds (4) has recently had an array cgh test done as his geneticist thinks he has a very rare genetic disorder. 3 months down the line, I get a letter saying that there were no results within 'quality control parameters', or something similar and that they needed another blood sample to repeat it. Does anyone know what this means, and does this mean another 3 months of waiting. did they find nothing and are double checking or something weird?? Help please!! confused

messmonster Fri 09-Nov-12 22:01:35

Hi Mandi. Welcome to the board. I'm not sure that anyone apart from the Genetics team are going to be able to answer that question smile. Could you contact your Geneticist on Monday and ask them what, if anything, they've found and tell ask them very nicely to expedite the second set of tests?

Sorry that's probably really unhelpful, I just think we'd be second-guessing unless there's some kind of Genetics code-speak that someone on here is familiar with!

My DD has a v rare chromo disorder so I do relate to the interminable wait for results followed, in our case, by being given the results over the phone by the Paed's secretary who could not answer any Qs.

Good luck smile

SallyBear Fri 09-Nov-12 22:27:53

Mandi it could mean that the sample was ruined. sad

hazeyjane Fri 09-Nov-12 22:31:59

We had a simrtunatelilar letter for ds after blood tests for some specific conditions. Unfortunately in our case it meant that the samples were unusable as they had been damaged in transit, so we had to redo 8 of the 12 samples originally taken.

I would call your paed/geneticist (or genetics nurse) though to ask.

hazeyjane Fri 09-Nov-12 22:33:01

sorry i have no idea what simrtunatelilar is, should be 'similar'

SallyBear Fri 09-Nov-12 22:35:30

Too many smarties maybe Hazey? grin

hazeyjane Fri 09-Nov-12 22:38:05

yes that's right it's the smarties....ahem.

<puts glass of cava down and gets ready for bed>

Bluebirdonmyshoulder Sat 10-Nov-12 09:36:00

I also think it sounds like the sample was tainted somehow and they therefore couldn't get an accurate result.

I would ring your geneticist though, they will understand your frustration and I'm sure won't mind clarifying.

Must be very worrying for you, so sorry you're going through this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now