Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

*Star* - oh lord, ds has found a tape measure

(18 Posts)
bialystockandbloom Fri 09-Nov-12 16:29:49

I now know the measurements of a sofa, kitchen table, width of kitchen, height of kitchen table, and indeed, how long the actual tape measure is. I managed to stop hearing after that.

Sigh.

DameMargotFountain Fri 09-Nov-12 16:30:21

grin

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 09-Nov-12 16:56:00

ROFL. I would love to say it is just a phase, but this one just goes on and on........

I hid all tape measures and now we have a bunch of imaginary ones where he insists I hold the end whilst he pulls an imaginary tape measure out of random objects in his hand.

Aparently the thinness of a tape measure, and the number it goes up to is based on how old you are and whether you are a grown up. He measures the baby every couple of hours and tells him he can only have a short fat tape measure that only goes up to 30cm.

This very second he informs me that his 'other' tape measure goes up to a billion metres and I've even had to ban numicon for a while because he lines it up and counts the holes linearly as if they are centemeters.

The good news of course is that it is a very valuable reinforcer. He is allowed to take a 'particular' home made tape measure in his bag to school ONLY if he gets dressed in the morning completely by himself and without whinging.

Unfortunately school were using tape measures too, but that stopped when he cut his finger on one. I insisted that I didn't mind but they are worried.

bialystockandbloom Fri 09-Nov-12 17:19:25

Phew it's stopped Temple Run trumps it

Star that is impressive about the imaginary one, I suppose you can be pleased in a strange sort of way hmm

moleskin Fri 09-Nov-12 17:31:45

Dd2 has the metal tape measure out at present she lovessss them despite not knowing her numbers yet. Everything is measured in our house ;)

BeeMom Fri 09-Nov-12 18:19:14

I finally gave in and got Bee her own measure. Beats her constantly stealing mine from the sewing and tool boxes.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 09-Nov-12 18:20:57

DS is currently showing baby-4-months the ipad tape measure and 'teaching' him all of his numbers apparently. Baby is very excited, poised on his tummy with his legs and arms waving about frantically at this 'lesson'.

coff33pot Fri 09-Nov-12 18:24:40

Oh I am so laughing grin

<runs around hiding tape measures for fear of it catching>

We have a giant spirit level here. It's either a light saber (or saver as ds puts it) or he goes around checking everything is level. Poor DH has been told many times "Dad why to you build everything uphill?" [grin[

BeeMom Fri 09-Nov-12 18:26:23

Coff, I am in hysterics!!! I SO needed a good laugh!

signandsmile Fri 09-Nov-12 18:27:10

thought it was only mine! (measure hidden on our house too) grin

bialystockandbloom Fri 09-Nov-12 19:18:43

Hmm. Someone should find a way of using them as a teaching device.

I tried to distract ds from the measuring with inane everyday chat. Was chopping pineapple at the time so told him about when I was pg with him how much I wanted it.
Ds response: "why are you telling me that?"
Me: "because sometimes people just chat about things they think are interesting. Did you think that was interesting?"
Ds: <thinks for a second> "not very"

Just left him to it after that grin

moleskin Fri 09-Nov-12 19:31:40

Bialy I'm smile at that. Sooo funny.we hide our spirit level after having to buy too many of them after they were broken!

ouryve Fri 09-Nov-12 19:34:42

Haha!

We go through phases when we can't go shopping without one!

bialystockandbloom Fri 09-Nov-12 19:36:08

God, they'd all bloody love IKEA wouldn't they? grin

ouryve Fri 09-Nov-12 20:17:59

DS1 DOES love IKEA. He's asking to go after the cinema on Sunday. It's bloody nuts there in the run up to Christmas!

bialystockandbloom Fri 09-Nov-12 20:20:58

Crikey, IKEA as a treat?? Is it specifically for the tape measures though? grin

MyAngelChuckles Fri 09-Nov-12 20:32:38

Just read this and it made me laugh, sounds so like something DS would get obsessed with interested in, have made a mental note to self to not leave any measures lieing about...ever smile

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 09-Nov-12 21:15:32

lol at the spirit level....

DS can do centimeters and inches btw and can convert one to the other, and yet his IEP target says he needs to sequence up to 8!? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now