Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DD diagnosed as ASD today

(8 Posts)
Newtothisstuff Fri 09-Nov-12 15:03:00

Hi everyone
DD1 is 6, she was diagnosed as ASD with ADHD today.
I'm very positive about helping her with different things etc I've done my crying and now want to move forward
Anyone have any advice regarding how to move forward with her statement at school, the senco seems to think it would have more power if I were to statement her.
She also says there's not the funding to give her more help.
Does anyone have any recommendation for daily planners. I heard you can get autism step by step day planners ???
I'm waffling arnt I ! Just don't know where to start really !!

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 09-Nov-12 15:09:06

Hi New, Sorry about your dx. Were you expecting it?

What agencies are involved with your family so far?

Help is based on need not funding and you might need to point this out to your senco at some point, but not yet as it is better for all if the relationships are as good as possible until/unless it is at the expense of your child.

Newtothisstuff Fri 09-Nov-12 15:15:32

I was expecting ADHD but not the autism part of it.. Was a bit of a shock. But reading all the info they have given me its pretty obvious tbhsad
I've only seen the hospital atm she has been seeing speech and language for a little while already.
The hospital mentioned classes for her in social communication as she struggles but just have to wait for appointments
She's so behind at school it makes me sad

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 09-Nov-12 15:24:59

Well the best way to go for a statement is to apply yourself as a parent. Go to the IPSEA website.

If the SENCO wants to do it, thank her but say that you'd like to, but are very appreciative of her support and can she foward to you anything that might help.

chuckeyegg Fri 09-Nov-12 15:27:04

Big hugs from me, it does get easier. Let it sink in then come back to this board for advise, it got me through.

x

PolterGoose Fri 09-Nov-12 17:06:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Newtothisstuff Fri 09-Nov-12 17:37:29

The senco said that she wouldn't do it this morning because it was too much paperwork and probably not effective so I told her I'd do it !! Thanks for the advice ill have a look into that tonight !
It's still sinking in sad
Thanks everyone

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 09-Nov-12 18:22:58

New, there are good reasons why you need to get a move on with this stuff, but I think it is sensible to take some time for yourself too. As you get to understand the dx better it becomes a lot less frightening but at the moment and for some time it is likely to affect you considerably.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now