Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Governor application - help me. Is this too pompous?

(12 Posts)
inappropriatelyemployed Thu 08-Nov-12 14:09:30

What do you think about this? Governors' application - it might go to a vote.

We have just found out our head is leaving - should I mention that? I want to highlight inclusivity etc but not sure if I'm sounding to pompous or vague

I believe that all children are gifted and talented. I have two children at X Primary school who have very different personalities and I believe that schools work best when they respect, reflect and enhance the diversity of their pupils. Good communication with parents and carers is a vital part of this as parents and carers know their children best. X Primary School understands this and the school community is rightly proud of the caring and inclusive environment it provides.

For this reason I would like to contribute to that community by becoming a Governor. My children moved to X last year and have attended other schools. I try to play an active part in school life, attending trips and helping out where I can. I can see very clearly what is special about X but I can also see that these are challenging times for education and it is impossible for schools to stand still. If I were a Governor, I would seek to protect what is unique and special about the school (e.g. its inclusivity and positive relationships with parents and carers) while it evolves.

messmonster Thu 08-Nov-12 14:40:55

Hi ie. It doesn't sound pompous to me at all. It might be a little vague in the sense that whilst you say that you would aim to protect inclusivity and positive relationships with parents, might the audience be looking for a bit more than that?

I don't know - have never been to a Governors meeting to know what they're looking for - but did wonder whether you need a bit more of a "manifesto" than you've stated. OTOH if it's enough to be willining to join the Governors and just to state your area of interest as you have, then I think it reads really well.

You could mention the Head's departure e.g. if you felt that it was a particularly important time to be joining the Governors to be involved in the selection of a new Head or to help steer the school through a potentially difficult time ahead?

HTH a tiny bit!

inappropriatelyemployed Thu 08-Nov-12 14:43:40

Thanks. That is helpful.

I wasn't sure about this as I'm not sure if Governors are supposed to have a 'manifesto' as such or whether they are just supposed to be willing to help and support the school and be a critical friend to the head.

I know the parent representative is a rep from the parents but not a rep for the parents iykwim.

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Thu 08-Nov-12 15:20:43

ie - re 'critical friend' the board are heavily involved with interviewing and appointing the staff -including the head.

inappropriatelyemployed Thu 08-Nov-12 20:28:39

Just bumping for any other thoughts as I have to dot his for tomorrow!!

AgnesDiPesto Thu 08-Nov-12 20:38:18

At our (terribly middle class) school people don't tend to have a manifesto they usually talk about their skills and how they would be useful and if they already contribute to the school. So people would tend to say I am a lawyer / accountant / head of PTA etc and have organisation / financial skills etc which would be asset etc etc

inappropriatelyemployed Thu 08-Nov-12 20:54:32

There are two sections:

1. why do you want to be a governor

2. what relevant skills do you have

This is for part 1.

fightingparanoia Thu 08-Nov-12 21:08:28

Hi IE- I was a school governor and we were only allowed to put 50 words max on our applications so at least you get to expand on things a bit. I'm not sure about the first sentence - the gifted and talented part may alienate some parents. Perhaps say that all children are unique with their own needs and you wish to support the school in helping to enrich their education?. I also mentioned a brief bit about my career background as most some parents are nosy and like to know a bit about the candidate iykwim. Don't go OTT though like one guy who waffled on about his great career and how he had so much to offer etc. as that just puts people off. Good luck smile

inappropriatelyemployed Thu 08-Nov-12 21:15:57

Thanks. That is really helpful.

The career background stuff I can put in part 2 which is easier to do but I am trying to keep limited so I don't sound like too much of a pompous arse!

Does this read better:

I have two children at X Primary school in Year 2 and Year 5. They have very different personalities and needs. I believe that schools are at their best when they enhance the individuality of their pupils. All children are different and good communication with parents and carers is a vital as parents and carers know their children best. I think our school understands this and our school community is rightly proud of the caring and inclusive environment it provides. I would like to contribute to the enrichment of our children’s education by becoming a Governor.

My children moved to X school last year and have attended other schools so I can see very clearly what is so special about X. However, I can also see that these are challenging times for education and that it is impossible for schools to stand still. I would like to be a Governor, to be a ‘critical friend’ and to help develop what is unique and special about our school as it evolves.

I try to play an active part in school life, attending trips, reading with children and helping out where I can.

inappropriatelyemployed Thu 08-Nov-12 21:18:27

For part 2, I was going to put:

I am a lawyer and have experience of giving policy and legal advice at national level, particularly on human rights issues.

I am a trustee of a national charity and have served as the secretary of the regional branch of a national charity.

I am involved in campaigns relating to education, specifically special educational needs and disability.

I previously served as a governor, for a very brief spell, at my sons’ last school.

AgnesDiPesto Thu 08-Nov-12 21:45:35

yes sounds great but i'd take out 'for a brief spell' you will only have people wondering why it was brief!

fightingparanoia Thu 08-Nov-12 22:09:13

Also add ' and very good at advising those in need on MNSN' wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now