Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What exactly is 'visual perceptual difficulties???'

(13 Posts)
mieowscintillant Sat 01-Apr-06 17:14:15

Recieved a letter from DD1's Ot today with some info about 'visual perceptual difficulties' which she has assessed Dd1 as having. But want exactly is it??? She has Spastic Diplegia CP.

mieowscintillant Sat 01-Apr-06 17:38:33

noone?

SaintGeorge Sat 01-Apr-06 17:41:59

I think that's stuff like hand/eye coordination. The brain doesn't correctly interpret what the eye sees.

matnanplus Sat 01-Apr-06 17:46:14

I 'think' it is when the messages between eye/brain/hand don't add up, so reach is too far or too short, hand bumps table as messages don't get passed on quickly/correctly. Does that sound like your DD1?

mieowscintillant Sat 01-Apr-06 19:15:03

I know she bumps into things, have found some info on the net and it describes Dd1 perfectly, even down to the hyperactively that some children seem to suffer with, when in fact its not hyperactively, but the child moving about to feel safe IYKWIM.

stapo1 Tue 11-Apr-06 00:09:24

My Son too has mild spatic diplegia, his ot also picked up a problem with visual perception, not had a written report yet but she explained basic hand eye cordination problems, for example he war trying to slot a diamond shape into a hole the wrong way round, trying to fit the long sides int o the short sides. If you find out more would be please to hear whe I get my report hopefully it will reveal more?

stapo1 Tue 11-Apr-06 00:10:43

Sorry about all the spelling mistakes, too late off to bed now.

SparklyGothKat Tue 11-Apr-06 00:13:41

lol thanks, sttill none the wise about exactly what this is but will phone the OT soon.

LIZS Tue 11-Apr-06 17:37:41

ds has similar as part of his motor issues and it is along the lines matnplus describes. He can't effectively judge distance, speed, movement etc or react quickly to what he sees so this makes team games and hand/eye activities hard and a busy playground can become a scary place because he can't anticipate what happens around him.

Christie Tue 11-Apr-06 18:50:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mel03 Tue 18-Oct-11 15:24:30

You can also find some good information on visual perceptual difficulties at www.visuallearningforlife.com This website has a checklist for you to fill in to help pinpoint which areas of visual perception your DD may be struggling with.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 18-Oct-11 15:31:18

Mel, this thread is 5 years old!

dolfrog Tue 18-Oct-11 18:17:41

mieowscintillant

When there is a great deal of google type information, sometimes it is good to have a look at Wikipedia which sometimes has a well resourced article on a topic.
So have a look at Visual perception which in section 5 includes links to possible disorders / disabilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now