Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensory Integration and Retained Reflexes

(14 Posts)
T3009 Wed 07-Nov-12 22:51:43

Hi, we have just started retained reflexes (3 sessions) at Hemispheres and debating about sensory integration for my son, 3.5 years old, High Functioning ASD - he seems to have few sensory issues, sitting still and loves cuddles, skin etc..He enjoys the exercises for retained reflexes but wonder whether it does help..please advise if you have had experience with RR.

Can both be done at the same time, or should one go for SI direct rather than retained reflexes..any advice most welcome.

Can you please recommend a goof private OT for sensory integration in London or South East London - much appreciated, thanks

Dev9aug Thu 08-Nov-12 02:20:25

I don't know much about Retained Reflexes I am afraid, but we are doing sensory Integration in a clinic run by these people in London. www.hopscotchtherapy.co.uk/director.html

Can you tell me a bit more about retained reflexes? we have a 3.4 year old and I would like to know more. I tried the website of the OT's you mentioned, but there is no information on there. TIA

porridgelover Thu 08-Nov-12 07:40:01

Dev this is retained reflexes.

T3009 this is the link to the British OT Association list of OTs in private practice. Not all OTs are SI trained so someone else may be able to advise someone close to you. Being trained to adminisiter the SIPT test is the highest level of Sensory Integration training.

I have heard it said that having Retained Reflexes done before SI is preferable. Apparently, while SI does work on primitive reflexes, it's at a more advanced level than the RR therapy. RR seems to work only on the retained reflexes.

Hope that makes sense.

T3009 Thu 08-Nov-12 12:12:02

Porridgelover, thank you for your response. I think we will continue with RR for another few months and see how we get on before embarking on SI. I will speak to a local SI therapist and make enquirie about SI.

Dev- thank you, I will enquire with the clinic as well. How long have you been doing SI at this clinic.

Dev9aug Sun 18-Nov-12 23:40:50

Thanks porridge very useful.

T2009 we had an initial assessment done a couple of months ago, but so far we have only had couple of sessions and I have to say am very impressed and there is definitely visible changes in ds1 behaviour/energy levels. don't ask me to describe it though as I won't be able to, but he is definitely more aware iykwim.

T3009 Mon 19-Nov-12 11:06:04

Hi Dev9aug, thanks for the update, which provider have you been using?? We have been to Hemispheres and had 3 sessions only.

Dev9aug Mon 19-Nov-12 11:11:49

We are using Starjumpz at Kent, they also have another centre in London, Hopscotch. The guy running it Dimitri is very good, definitely recommend him.

T3009 Mon 19-Nov-12 12:13:46

Dev, thanks, I have contacted Hopscotch and emailed Dimitri - hope he will get back to me. NHS OT have refused to see my son...hoping to include OT in statement.

Thanks for recommendation. How often do you go for therapy?

mrslaughan Mon 19-Nov-12 15:05:28

Just like to second Dimitrios and the team at hopscotch - DS has been seeing them for 6 months and the change is incredible.... DS's teachers have never seen a change like it.... Though to be fair Dimitrios has been surprised at DS progress as well. Anyway think they are amazing, but don't think they do retained reflexes.... Not sure, something I have been meaning to ask them

T3009 Mon 19-Nov-12 17:09:39

mrslaughan, thanks, I will speak to Dimitri later today and hopefully book in for an appointment. My son does not have a lot of sensory issues but would prefer that he is seen at an easrly stage. How often do you go to the clinic?

mrslaughan Mon 19-Nov-12 17:35:15

We went 2 times a week for not quite 6 months, and now once a week. We would have stayed doing 2 times a week for a bit longer, however we travel in from outside London, and felt with what he had on at school this year it was too much plus his sensory issues are now quite well modulated and we are now working on more classic OT - like tying shoelaces.....grin

auntevil Mon 19-Nov-12 19:24:50

It is so sad when the postcode lottery decides who gets suitable OT and who doesn't.
We are on a second course of SI on the NHS and so far, I can definitely see the benefits - as can DS.
SI combined with decent physio for hypermobility/dyspraxia issues has seen a measurable improvement.

mrslaughan Mon 19-Nov-12 19:59:55

We pay privately.....which is a strain at the moment, but DS has had OT before with really no benefit, because there is such a huge benefit to him from going to hopscotch, we find the money.

auntevil Mon 19-Nov-12 23:13:12

We had OT before too, which was pretty basic, but now we have trained practitioners in sensory Integration and assessment - so the outcomes are so much better as they give 1-1 sessions instead of the usual several in the group, as it was previously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now