Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Retained ayssemetric tonic neck reflex

(3 Posts)
Verybusymummyof2 Wed 07-Nov-12 09:58:27

Hello, I am quite new to this, starting off on a very uncertain road, my dd was born 3 months early, is now 10 months actual, 7 months corrected and after her very rocky start is falling behind developmentally, particularly in her motor skills. She cannot roll, sit or crawl. CP is at the forefront of my mind, but all her consultants say is it's too early, let's wait and see!! Grrrr!!

I don't want to wait and see. I notice she still has a few reflexes present the most obvious being th ATNR whichafter what I've read might explain her lack of movement. Does anyone have any experience of this and any exercises I can do with her to help inhibit this. I know this may sound quite naive but I am driving myself crazy with this and just want to feel useful.....

X

SallyBear Wed 07-Nov-12 11:07:23

I don't have an experience with this per se, but my DS had torticollis in the muscles in his neck. It affected his right side and he had difficulty turning his head towards his left shoulder. It gave him plagiocephaly by moving the soft skull bone so that his head had a flat "corner" and meant that his ears moved out of alignment! We went for a helmet, but it was such a terrible experience for him that I gave up with it after two weeks. The Torticollis definitely affected his general movement. He hated beng on his tummy as it was uncomfortable for him to raise his head properly. He was slow to sit, crawl, stand and walk. I discovered that it wasn't just the torticollis that was causing him difficulty, one shoulder was slightly higher than the other and he had three vertebrae out of alignment and as well as his pelvis and sacrum. We did physiotherapy, cranial osteopathy and chiropractic treatments to help him.

porridgelover Wed 07-Nov-12 11:47:24

verybusy....I take it you have spoken to your GP and that you have gone on to see a Paediatrician? Have they referred you to a Paediatric Physio?
TBH at 7 months (in spite of her rocky start ...and perhaps because of her rocky start) getting her to therapy sooner rather than later would be ideal. A Physio training in Bobath/NDT techniques preferably.

Specifically WRT ATNR...will she tolerate lying on her tummy? Can she spend time there? And if so can she lift her head to look at toys?
Thats probably the best place to start developmentally.
Hope thats of some help to start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now