Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I just told my eldest I love him and he said...

(38 Posts)
HecatePropylaea Tue 06-Nov-12 21:03:29

Thanks.

Thanks

[crushed]

grin

What do yours with asd say?

And as an add on - I was in the back room earlier and I heard my youngest say "do willy willy dance X" to my eldest. I legged it into the living room and experienced physical rush of relief to find them trying to wheel round the living room!

phew.

outnumberedbymen Tue 06-Nov-12 21:08:47

My eldest (5.5) actually says 'I love you too!'

My middle one however replies with either 'ok mummy' or 'thank you'

smile

TaggieCampbellBlack Tue 06-Nov-12 21:09:08

Dd2 (as) 'why you sayin that for? Freak'

Dd1 (nt) 'love you too mummy'

<<sigh>>

outnumberedbymen Tue 06-Nov-12 21:10:07

Oh and both ds1 and ds2 have AS

TaggieCampbellBlack Tue 06-Nov-12 21:10:45

And as DD2 has just pointed out she tells the dog she loves him.

glitch Tue 06-Nov-12 21:11:33

DS (6) says 'I already know that'.

SouthernComforts Tue 06-Nov-12 21:15:14

My dd dosen't have asd but either says thanks, or worse 'your welcome' grin

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 06-Nov-12 21:15:56

Just asked DS2, he said, 'I know, you don't have to say that!'

Do you love me? I asked. 'I only love your hair, the rest of you I hate!' he replied. grin <thick skinned, me>

moosemama Tue 06-Nov-12 21:16:34

Ds1 (10, AS) usually just says "mmm" - as in 'I know you just said something to me, but I wasn't listening'. So basically his standard response to hearing my voice vaguely droning on in the background. hmm grin

Ds2 (8, NT-ish) usually says "I love you too Mummy" and dd (3, NT) is usually the one telling me she loves me before I get chance to tell her - she's a proper little cuddle bug at the moment.

Taggie, your dd would get on well with my lurcher - he tells me he loves me far more often than anyone else ever does. wink

DameMargotFountain Tue 06-Nov-12 21:23:34

DD will either say 'love you too mum' or 'why?'

confused

Ilovecake1 Tue 06-Nov-12 21:23:46

Awww what a lovely thread!! I will say I love you and My little one (7AS) will say I love you too mummy and then I will say I love you so much and then she will say I love you so much more!! Mind you we did A LOT of practise of this when she was three....she might just say it because she knows I love to hear it!! I pray she does love me though!!

moosemama Tue 06-Nov-12 21:31:54

Oh Ilovecake, you have just reminded me how ds1 used to do the "I love you to the moon - and back" thing from the Guess How Much I Love You? book when he was little.

Ah - so maybe he does love me after all. grin

<goes all soppy at the memory>

Actually, he told me this evening that home is his safe, happy place and he can't think of one thing about it that upsets him. Which is lovely - and reassuring - especially when we have just received meeting notes from the school which imply that any anxiety/stress issues must be home related, because they aren't seeing it in school. hmm angry

StabbyMacStabby Tue 06-Nov-12 21:33:03

I waited years for this, and DS unexpectedly came out with "I love you too Mummy" - a vaguely absent reply as he was playing with Postman Pat. That was it for months and months, and I feared I was going to have to live off the first as it might be the only time he ever said it in his Whole Life <drama queen>

But he has said it a couple of times since (I have become Mum and not Mummy in the meantime) in response to my telling him. But tonight (drumroll) he said "I love you soo-oo much!" It was our snuggle time after I'd put his bedroom light out, so 'twas a little cosy voice in the dark <sniffle>

zen1 Tue 06-Nov-12 21:35:20

DS1 (never been assessed, but who I am becoming more and more convinced has Aspergers) says 'I think I love you'. When he was younger (6ish) he used to tell me that he didn't know whether he loved me or not as he didn't know what love felt like.

inappropriatelyemployed Tue 06-Nov-12 21:37:21

dd2 (as) 'why you sayin that for? Freak'

Dd1 (nt) 'love you too mummy'

I have two boys but that is the only difference to the responses you have set out here - it made me laugh!

DS1 (AS) does give ferocious hugs and call me the best mum in the world. He hates mentioning LOVE!!!

DS2 is a loved up, gaze in your eyes pup!

colditz Tue 06-Nov-12 21:40:24

He says "yes, I know. Go downstairs now please."

ProcrastinatingPanda Tue 06-Nov-12 21:41:17

My DS used to say thanks back, but now after I told him it was nice to say 'I love you' back he now says it back to me, but it sounds very rehearsed iykwim.

PersonalClown Tue 06-Nov-12 21:57:09

Toad just says 'Ok'
If you ask him if he loves me, he looks puzzled and goes 'No!'
Charming.

bialystockandbloom Tue 06-Nov-12 22:10:00

Rofl at this thread grin

My ds (5yo, HFA) can reply with anything from "I love you too" to "yes I know" or even on one occasion "I like you"

I've had the "yes I know, you can go now" too.

Tonight he did tell me I was prettier than dd though. Wish it were true! And later he asked if the reason i had lines on my forehead was because I was getting old.

zen your ds's answer is perfectly sensible!

Strongecoffeeismydrug Tue 06-Nov-12 22:32:55

DS replies with " you too spoonhead "
It sounds rather horrid but spoonhead is his term of endearment smile

BeeMom Tue 06-Nov-12 22:52:17

The "best" response I ever got from DS was "well, that is good to know".

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!

As much as I KNOW you wanted to hear "I love you too, mum. You are the BEST mum in the world and thank you for all you do for me. I will never truly understand the sleepless nights and teary days you have battled through over the years, and wouldn't really get it anyways... but I love you more than anything in the world"... there is a good chance that in his mind - all that is said with "thanks".

We all know you are amazing!

wine

2006hildy Tue 06-Nov-12 23:03:50

ahhhh nice thread, had to comment.

Are we all ASD mums on here?

Whenever DS2 ASD hears his name he says the other persons name in return. I don't think he knows what love is because I always say it but he never returns. So this is what happens:

I say "I love you DS" and he will say Mummy.

I'll try again "I love you DS" and he will say Mummy.

I'll try again "I love you DS" and he will mumble then say Mummy even louder.

aww bless.

WarmAndFuzzy Tue 06-Nov-12 23:21:22

I have two with AS -

DS1 (8) says 'I know' but then hug my arm really tightly.

DS2 (6) will say 'I love you too' most of the time, but sometimes will say how much he loves me (I love you more than the world, I love you more than the universe, I love you more than infinity universes...I say the other bits in between grin).

HecatePropylaea Wed 07-Nov-12 06:52:49

No, 2006. (Hi btw, don't think I've 'spoken' to you before. <waves> ) But there are a lot of us. But there are people who are the parents of children with many different disabilities.

Nice to read all your experiences.

If I say I love you too many times in a day blush I actually get told off - because I've already told him that! So thanks is not so bad. grin

My youngest (also autistic + ADHD) says "I love you" back. Echolalia has its advantages wink

troutsprout Wed 07-Nov-12 07:04:19

Last time I said this to ds he was horrified !
" What?!!!! Why are you saying that?!!"
So I tell him that sometimes it's nice to tell a person and sometimes it's nice to know.
"Ok!! Alright!! Can you go away now please !"
grin Not much touchy- feely going on in this house .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now