Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Disability Team

(5 Posts)
straweberryjelly Tue 06-Nov-12 11:08:50


Have been looking on my council website and come across the Disability Team does anyone know exactly what they do? Or what kind of help or services they provide to families of children with SEN?

Has anyone had any experience?

Thank you

bigbluebus Tue 06-Nov-12 12:45:46

I would guess that a Disability Team will be part of the Adult Social Care team. There is usually a Disabled Childrens Team which assesses the needs of families of disabled children under 18. Both are there to assess the needs of people with a disability or additional need - but they have certain criteria for the various services that they provide, so not everyone will qualify.

Why do you ask? What are you trying to find? Sorry I don't know your history.

straweberryjelly Tue 06-Nov-12 12:58:35

Hi bigbluebus

Thanks for your reply. A few people have mentioned the dt for help with respite & childrens clubs but I don't know anyone that has personally used them and wondering if they are worth calling or asking for help and what services they may provide?

I have two DS one ASD & the other un dx'd but likely ADHD. I'm just wondring what support we may be able to access if that makes sense.


bigbluebus Tue 06-Nov-12 13:11:30

I would suggest that you need to contact your Disabled Children's team and ask for an assessment for yourself as a carer and your DCs. The criteria varies from one area to another, so whether or not you are eligible for any services will be unique to your area.

In our area, you have to have quite a high level of need to qualify for 'assessed' services eg overnight respite, specfic holiday clubs for children with a high level of need etc. However, in the last few years (following Government monies being invested under Aiming High) they have developed activity clubs for children with SN who don't get assessed services, so many more families are getting some level of support. You don't need an assessment to access these clubs in our area, you just have to be able to say why your child needs to go to them (ie why they cannot access mainstream clubs).

Does your LA website have a link to a Family Information Service. That may provide details of any groups/clubs for children with SN which you may be able to use pending an assessment.

What is provided is so varied from one LA to the next and the criteria is usually based not only on the child's needs but the level of support that the family needs too and whether they are already getting any support from elsewhere eg family, friends, charities.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

straweberryjelly Tue 06-Nov-12 13:57:36

Hi Bigbluebus

Thats really helpful thanks very much I will give them a call and see if I can get an assessment done and see what they say and if there are any services.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now