Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I think this is fab-a little boy with SN is one of the stars of a big Christmas advert!

(21 Posts)
moondog Mon 05-Nov-12 21:48:03

And gratifyingly, even the Daily Mail gets it right

Calls him 'a boy with Downs' Syndrome' as opposed to the appalling 'Down's Syndrome child'

sc13 Tue 06-Nov-12 11:56:02

That's lovely - very cute kid too.

WilsonFrickett Tue 06-Nov-12 12:10:35

I was really pleased when I read about this although I hoped he wouldn't be 'special' in the ad iyswim - looks like Markies has got it right.

Cortana Tue 06-Nov-12 12:48:44

Agree Wilson, his Mum said something along the lines of he's just playing with everyone else, just like he should be. Nice one Marks and Sparks.

mrsbaffled Tue 06-Nov-12 13:21:45

Well done, M&S x

Four4me Tue 06-Nov-12 13:23:24

It is indeed fab!!! As a mum of a 9 year old with ds I am thrilled! Can't wait to watch it. He is a total cutie xxxxx

Cortana Tue 06-Nov-12 13:27:47

Can I ask a personal question Four, which of course you do not have no answer?

I know people respond better to adverts where they think they have been represented in some way. And that it can be good for self esteem and confidence to see people who represent who you feel you are in some way in successful positions.

Do you think this will be a positive for children who have ds in terms of their confidence and how children who have ds are seen by other people?

Four4me Tue 06-Nov-12 14:01:34

cortana from the point of view of my family, my ds1 doesn't have any awareness at present that he is any different to his mainstream friends in any way, shape or form smile . My friend has a dd who is 9 who asks her mum 'has she/he got ds mummy?' about every child she meets. But I'm sure she doesn't have an understanding of what having ds means. She will probably be thrilled to see this ad. This insight and understanding will probably come with age and I'm sure that some mnetters with older children/young adults with ds would be able to answer you.

However our ds2 who is nearly 8 has a very good age appropriate understanding of ds and his big brothers disabilities (and extra abilities)! He recognizes the features of someone with ds and when he see's this advert I'm sure he will point him out. As a parent it is definitely nice to have ds represented in a normal and positive way, we are just a normal family with four children trying to bring them up to reach their full potential what every that maybe.

Cortana Tue 06-Nov-12 14:05:26

Thank you Four. thanks

The only gentlemen I ever knew who had ds was 68 and he wasn't aware of any differences, but I knew he doesn't represent everyone and some people might be more aware of themselves than others. I only wanted to know as I was hoping the advert would be a real positive to people and their families.

Four4me Tue 06-Nov-12 14:13:42

Pleasure! Anything that correctly represents real life has to be a good thing even if it is the soaps!!
I was asked at a wedding once 'did you feel like Honey (who had just had a baby with ds) on Eastenders when you had ds1'?' grin

Cortana Tue 06-Nov-12 14:20:50

I suppose if that was a means to understanding a situation you've never been in it's a positive. (I vaguely remember the Honey story line when I lived with my Ma as she used to watch.) smile

troutsprout Tue 06-Nov-12 14:34:42

Handsome chap... I bet they WERE keen to snap him up!

coff33pot Tue 06-Nov-12 14:42:13

aww gorgeous child! smile

WilsonFrickett Tue 06-Nov-12 17:41:25

He is totally edible, isn't he? grin

mymatemax Tue 06-Nov-12 18:53:35

So cute & Handsome, love his outfit too.

mymatemax Tue 06-Nov-12 18:57:09

& I hope he's got an agent, i recon he'll be in demand.

BigCC Tue 06-Nov-12 19:59:50

Just wanted to mention JoJoMamanBebe, who feature this little boy in their current catalogue, also have a little girl with DS in their Christmas special. On the theme of these children appearing in the media being a positive thing for children with DS, I am cutting out the pictures/articles and keeping them for my DD for future reference and inspiration (she is 22 months and has DS).

sneezecakesmum Tue 06-Nov-12 20:06:08

Does anyone know why when I click on a link I get a hand with a yellow flash and it wont open. Off subject I know but I am getting a bit frustrated now sad

moondog Tue 06-Nov-12 21:22:45

BigCC, that's great to know too.
Sneeze, I checked it and it is still working fine for me.
Odd..

waitingforgodot Tue 06-Nov-12 22:06:47

I think it's brilliant. Makes me want to shop at M & S.

Firsttimer7259 Wed 07-Nov-12 14:26:01

Theres a real cutie in the recent JoJoMaman catalogue who may have DS as well - a girl so thats 2 in ads. Nice to see

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now