Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

how do your 10 year olds occupy themselves?

(8 Posts)
clangermum Mon 05-Nov-12 18:28:35

dd has some learning difficulties and ADHD. Academically/emotionally she's probably more like a 7 year old. Until recently she has always been really good at amusing herself doing things like playing with a farm set, jigsaws, imaginative games with models. Lately she seems to have lost this ability and isn't yet able to read to herself. She's always at a loose end and when I was thinking about Christmas presents, for example, there's just nothing I can think of that she's really 'into' at the moment (whereas her brother, who is actually 7, has loads of things he'd be happy to get and play with.) Maybe she's becoming more aware that some of the toys she played with were meant for younger children. I never had a problem with this. Now we just seem to have moved into an activity gap and have nothing to fill it (for the times when she really needs to occupy herself - we still do sports activities and going out, but can't fill the entire day with this, plus I have other children). I thought as she got older she'd be spending more time in her room, even if it was just listening to music...She would spend all day in there if I let her have a telly, but that's not happening. Any ideas? Anyone else in a similar situation? Developmentally it feels like she hasn't quite 'done' play yet.

clangermum Mon 05-Nov-12 18:40:43

Can anyone think of any non-messy craft activities she could do on her own? She's slightly dyspraxic and has never been very into drawing. Was thinking of friendship bracelets you make on a round disk, for example. Sewing/kniting/crochet all a bit beyond her at the moment, even with supervision.

zzzzz Mon 05-Nov-12 18:54:22

pinterest.com/spiltmilk/montessori-craft-ideas/

pinterest.com/lilia_meredith/montessori-by-hand/

Build a dolls house together, or puppet theatre.

Miniature garden in tray.

Cooking.

Wii?

Weaving

Strongecoffeeismydrug Mon 05-Nov-12 18:59:58

DS is 8 but he can entertain himself for ages on his iPad.
He hates drawing,crafts ect but creates a lot of pictures on the iPad.

Ineedalife Mon 05-Nov-12 19:04:07

Dd3 loves colouring atm, her motor skills are poor and she was really struggling to join her writing.

I think the colouring has really helped, we bought some really nice felt pens and she downloads her own pictures from Activity Village, there are seasonal pictures etc which she loves.

She also still likes playdough and or modelling clay, painting and other messy things.

Her favourite toy, well only one really is playmobil. She has tonnes of it and still plays for hours with it.

She is also 10 and has ASD she is roughly 2 yrs delayed socially.

clangermum Mon 05-Nov-12 19:51:23

I'd love it if she could use my ipad but sadly she's a bit too impulsive and I'd be worried it might get smashed if she gets frustrated. However we did get them an Innotab to share which seems to have migrated to her brother's room, so that's given me the idea of digging that out and seeing what I can download.

I'm going to re-present the playmobil in a different way somehow. It has been gathering dust but she might quite enjoy going back to it. I could combine it with the dolls house idea.

Thanks for the pinterest links too - I'm going to have a session tonight with a glass of wine smile

mymatemax Mon 05-Nov-12 19:54:46

ds2 is 10 & he will watch endless DVD's if he cant watch a DVD he paces up and down & cannot occupy himself at all.

Ineedalife Mon 05-Nov-12 20:11:38

Our playmobil families live in the dolls house clanger, Dd3 has the hospital set up on one side of her room and the dolls house on the other.

She mainly plays games around the emergency services although often the dolls house becomes the dumping ground from Tracy Beaker.

We dont have an ipad but Dd3 does have access to a laptop and has recently moved on from making posters to making power pointsgrin.

She does have the TV on alot too and DVD's although she ctually doesnt spend that much time watching them, until of course someone else wants to watch somethinggrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now