Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

OT reports: what would you go for?

(7 Posts)
inappropriatelyemployed Sun 04-Nov-12 15:47:30

I am looking for an independent OT.

I was recommended one OT who does 'good tribunal reports'. This will cost £780.

However, another parent locally whose husband is a consultant at the hospital have used a local OT (same county as us) who works for the NHS as a senior, specialist ASD OT but does private work. Her website looks good and she is ASD specific.

Her report would be much less at £350.

I am veering towards instructing the second. Both can offer support in an ongoing way and, although I think the first would may have more tribunal experience, the second seems to be known locally and also does tribunal reports.

I would add that at present, we are not fighting about OT at Tribunal but looking to get someone to work with DS.

HotheadPaisan Sun 04-Nov-12 15:56:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bjkmummy Sun 04-Nov-12 16:10:41

i got a top notch OT done because my son has huge sensory needs. However i went for a cheaper SA:T report as i though his speech was okay and was not intending on calling a SALT to tribunal bit just really to see if he had any needs. the salt report has highlighted he has issues but i know the LA will not be getting a SALT report and are not calling a SALT. so when my report is handed in my report will stand as the LA have not sought one themselves. i have given them some hints but they are too dumb to realise. they have even made a big thing in their response to tribunal that they ahve taken the decision that no SALT or OT was needed - think that one is going to come and bite them on the bottom

porridgelover Sun 04-Nov-12 16:15:48

The tribunal are probably paying for someone who has done a lot of legal/court training and specialises in that.

The second sounds like someone who is working at Clinical Specialist grade. If so, you are going to get someone who is bang up to date, and who passes lots of kids through her hands.

So what is more important to you? Someone who knows the wiley ways of Tribunals grin or someone who can give you a good overview and probably a comprehensive Home Programme?

(I'd veer towards the second)

inappropriatelyemployed Sun 04-Nov-12 17:10:21

Thanks. I think I will got for the second.

DS has been assessed and assessed over the last 3 years but it has come to nothing with our NHS OT who has not offered any support in school.

I think the nature of his needs are uncontentious but I need someone I can trust to work on them and support him

mymatemax Sun 04-Nov-12 17:17:53

depends if the priority at the moment is OT support that you can work on then i would go for the ASD specialist, worth their weight in gold!
We have been able to put a good programme in place (mostly home) becuase of a great ASD specislaist OT that has seen huge improvements at school.

I would always looks to solve the problem first then fight for a better support structure if needed later.

inappropriatelyemployed Sun 04-Nov-12 17:21:43

Good advice mymatemax! Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now