Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does ds need a private OT assessment?

(14 Posts)
Iceflower Sun 04-Nov-12 14:29:04

DS (AS, 10) has been assessed by an NHS paediatric OT and dx as dyspraxic, and having "definite difference" in all areas. He has also had a sensory profile drawn up, also with "definite difference in all areas". When questioned at a TAC, she agreed he had SPD.

However the report is beyond woolly and recommendations worse, eg "may impact on him" and "may benefit from". The OT goes into school once a term and has given them a long list of interventions, none of which have been done.

There are no OT targets in the IEP and I have asked for them to be included in the next IEP.

DS is undergoing statutory assessment and I can't see how any OT intervention will be included in the proposed statement with such a woolly report.

Would a private report go into specifics and be easy to incorporate in a statement?

Would anyone be willing to share their private report so I can see what a "good" one looks like? Please?

straweberryjelly Sun 04-Nov-12 15:32:18

Hi

I am appealing against my son's statement and going to get private reports for OT, SALT & EP as like you the LA reports are seriously lacking and my child won't get what he needs because the LA cover themselves so they don't have to give the necessary thearpies this seems to be quite common.

I don't have the answer I'm afraid but have been asking the same questions will it really make a difference etc.

Most people I have spoken to feel that it would make a differnece as private OT report would say what is actually needed for your child and of course it would be a long report and give you an accurate picture of your childs needs which is part of the reason I am going to get an OT report.

I'm sure there will be others who can advise and who have been in the same situation.

If you are looking for an OT maybe try and get other reccommendations for MN & also SOS!SEN have a list of OT, SALT & EP

Good luck

inappropriatelyemployed Sun 04-Nov-12 15:42:35

I'm in the process of trying to get a private report having given up on our NHS OT who will not even help with setting targets so how she thinks she can measure 'progress' is beyond me.

Judging by other independent reports I have had in the past, I would expect a private OT report to be specific and say exactly what my son needs. This is precisely what NHS reports so often avoid as the LA may tell them that it is for them to decide what a child needs not the health professional.

Ridiculous and unlawful but par for the course.

Iceflower Sun 04-Nov-12 15:55:16

Thanks straweberryjelly and inappropriatelyemployed

I sometimes wonder if NHS therapists have been to a "woolly report writing" seminar [sceptical]

It looks like I need a private report, and am just wondering about timing.

straweberryjelly I have professionals spreadsheet grin

bjkmummy Sun 04-Nov-12 16:01:13

i had a private OT report done and it is very specific and it list whats parts 2 and 3 would need in the statement. the LA responded by getting an NHS OT report done and whilst it is very good as the LA had to commision it as a private report, the OT was much less qualified and the provsion is good but still not as detailed. she did recommend therapy but the NHS has no one qualified to do it so it will mean that any provision that goes into the statement is likely to have to be bought in

auntevil Sun 04-Nov-12 17:27:58

Is the only reason that the school have not implemented the OT's woolly report because it's woolly, or because the school just won't initiate anything?
If it's the latter, then unless/until you get the statement, it doesn't seem like school will implement anything anyway.
The school could have chosen one area of OT as an IEP area with or without the OT's support.
DS1 doesn't have a statement, but the school have been quite happy to implement and assess progression with minimal OT support.

straweberryjelly Sun 04-Nov-12 17:43:18

Lol! They probably all go on them together with the SALT, OT & EP!

Typical of the LA it makse me so angry.

I expect once the LA know anyone is getting reports they get their own done as quick as they can.

Good luck with it glad you got a good list.

alison222 Mon 05-Nov-12 09:46:44

I found out that once I had my Private OT report done, the LEA asked the NHS OT for their opinion of the report. The LEA didn't tell me though, the OT did at the OT annual review. He was fab and gave me a copy of the letter which said that he agreed with everything and quantified it all for us.
BUT, I was at that stage heading for tribunal with a woolly statement and had submitted my private report too late for them to commission one themselves.

alison222 Mon 05-Nov-12 10:01:17

Oh I also meant to say that DS's statement was not quantified and specified so I sent in amendements and made up my own as there were none in the professional reports. When they challenged me I told them I had made them up based on my experience since it wasn't in the professional reports and if they had anything better to contradict me could I see it. I erred on the very generous side so that it could be negotiated as a result.

Iceflower Mon 05-Nov-12 16:02:14

Thanks everyone smile.

alison, When they challenged me I told them I had made them up based on my experience since it wasn't in the professional reports

That made me laugh and reminded me of when I compiled my own sensory profile for dd from a book as the LA didn't commission one. It was accepted by tribunal and incorporated in the statement grin

alison222 Mon 05-Nov-12 17:28:22

Glad to be of service grin. - even if it was only to make you laugh. Actually with all the stress of sorting this out laughing is very important.

straweberryjelly Mon 05-Nov-12 20:34:22

alison22

Lol! That has really tiggled me I'm sure they were very impressed...I like your style! At least you got what your DS needed.

alison222 Mon 05-Nov-12 23:03:32

Well it came about because I was on at the LEA officer to quantify the statement and she didn't know how to and asked me to suggest what I wanted - so I did. The challenging me on the amounts was when they finally got around to properly negotiating just before the tribunal date.

straweberryjelly Tue 06-Nov-12 10:57:58

I think it's great play them at their own game! ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now