Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Beery visual motor test

(11 Posts)
inappropriatelyemployed Sat 03-Nov-12 21:02:21

Anyone any experience of this?

porridgelover Sat 03-Nov-12 23:54:26

Yes. Wha'cha want to know?

porridgelover Sat 03-Nov-12 23:56:04

It's a standardised assessment to measure hand-eye co-ordination in children. it involves copying patterns that become more complex over the course of the test. Scores are normed for age-ranges. Would usually be done in conjunction with a test for Visual Perception.

Handywoman Sun 04-Nov-12 13:07:39

My dd did this a couple of weeks ago with an OT. I looked it up on You Tube, there is a good video explaining it on there xxx

Ineedalife Sun 04-Nov-12 14:02:33

Is that the one when they copy a line, then add another and keep going until they draw a star??

Dd3 couldnt get past the +
She was too good to qualify for a follow up appointment thoughconfused

inappropriatelyemployed Sun 04-Nov-12 14:20:31

Thanks. I'm instructing a new OT. Our NHS OT did the Brunix a while back.

The new OT says she uses the Beery test and the Dash handwriting test. I just wondered how comparable they were, if at all, in terms of reliability and credibility.

DS also has gross motor problems so we would need to look at that too.

porridgelover Sun 04-Nov-12 15:02:34

Bruininks here.

Results of study by Lois Addy OT herewhich refers to many assessments. Lois Addy is an OT who does a lot on handwriting and has written books on improving handwriting speed
I'm not up to date on the DASH but its referenced here.

IMO the Bruininks is a more general assessment of movement whereas the Beery is very specifically looking at hand/pencil/eye co-ordination.
It depends what you are assessing for. I would use the Bruininks +/- the Movement ABC (for gross motor) as a general assessment and probably use the Beery for specifically handwriting issues.

inappropriatelyemployed Sun 04-Nov-12 15:05:44

That is brilliant - thanks so much for the link!!

auntevil Sun 04-Nov-12 17:31:36

DS1 had the SIPT, but has also had the Beery. His paed, although very interested in the SIPT, was more interested in the Beery as she could make dx from the results of that. I'm not sure all paeds are fully up to speed with all the others and consequently prefer the traditional/reliable tests!

Handywoman Sun 04-Nov-12 19:50:53

What dx can be made from the Beery, Auntevil? DD2's Beery was 'well above average' but have not had anything in writing, guess I'll find out when we see Comm Paed in Feb.

HW x

auntevil Mon 05-Nov-12 18:27:57

Whoops, didn't make myself very clear blush
What I meant was that of the multitude of tests that OTs use, a lot of paediatricians prefer to use the standard tried and tested such as the Beery, rather than some of the newer, less accessible reports, to help with their dx.
Mine was fascinated by the SIPT, but there is so much information and explanation - which is great in working out what an individual diet should be, but perhaps less helpful when just making a dx.
She flicked through the OT report and then said 'ah, a Beery' with a sort of 'phew' expression!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now