Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Confuddled but pleased

(12 Posts)
Strongecoffeeismydrug Sat 03-Nov-12 10:12:17

Ds has major issues with food and eats a very restricted diet (I know a lot of you have the same issues)
However this week he's been like a totally different child and has eaten loads of new foods
Fishfingers
Bean sprouts
Rice
Doughnuts
Porridge
Fried chicken
Now Im obviously delighted because usually if a new food is tried an old trusted food is then refused and this week this hasn't happened.
So what's confused me is when DS is presented with a new food (even this week) he looks absolutely petrified (as usual) but just says to himself "it's time it's time" then eats!
Don't know where that's come from but yay for the varied diet smile

SallyBear Sat 03-Nov-12 10:26:14

That's brilliant. smile Looking at your list of food there seems to be a colour theme going on. I wonder if that might be worth exploring?

We have a similar thing with processed meat. DS4 (5) will only eat sausages anything that's breadcrumbed to the hilt or cured pork products! Veg wise it has to be either mash, chips or roasties. Won't touch rice or pasta, hates sloppy food but will eat yogurt. I can get him to eat raw carrots, mashed swede, peas and sweetcorn, apples and occasionally green peas or mange tout. He will now eat sandwiches, but that's taken about two years. It's so frustrating as I feel he's missing out on all the good stuff and I probably don't give the other three enough variety because of DS's food issues.

Ineedalife Sat 03-Nov-12 12:17:21

Bless him strong, it sounds like he has made a decision to try new things and is determined.

Well done ministrong and keep it upgrin

auntevil Sat 03-Nov-12 15:55:44

I feel your excitement.
When DS3 managed a sausage, I think I texted every friend in my phone (that had a vague understanding) to let them know!
Well done your DS for confronting his fears and overcoming them smile

alison222 Sat 03-Nov-12 17:48:21

That is lovely smile.
Am now equally shocked as DH has just made veggie chillie and I asked what is DS eating and he told me DS has agreed to eat it. Am falling off my chair in shock as I type....

zzzzz Sat 03-Nov-12 17:52:39

grin

Yay!

How old is he? I want to pretend it will happen to us too!

alison222 Sat 03-Nov-12 18:00:04

zzzzz my DS is nearly 12. He does eat a lot of bland food but meat and 3 veg every time. Just no fruit and a string of allergies.....

Strongecoffeeismydrug Sat 03-Nov-12 18:05:31

Zzzzz DS is 8 smile
Food has always been the Bain of my life with him and he never eats a morsel at school so like I say I'm in shock he's even trying different stuff.
He's told me today he's going to eat snack at school so fingers crossed on that one.
Today he's had baked beans (first time) homemade chips ( first time) and sausages ( his safe food) so I'm on cloud nine smile

zzzzz Sat 03-Nov-12 18:09:14

Ooh ds is 8 in 6 months. Perhaps the spaghetti nightmare is nearly over!

<Shamelessly ignores reality and wanders grinning into kitchen to start countdown to The end of bolognaise>

Strongecoffeeismydrug Sat 03-Nov-12 18:18:00

When he finally ditches chocolate spread sandwiches I will dance smile
Nutella has kept him alive for the last 6 years but it's not my idea of food lol

zzzzz Sat 03-Nov-12 18:33:03

I'd take the choc spread sandwich too!

CwtchesAndCuddles Sat 03-Nov-12 18:37:50

It's fab when a new food is accepted - ds ate a yorkshire pudding and a small slice of beef last sunday we were gobsmacked!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now