Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Another assessment - how do I explain it?

(6 Posts)
endoftherainbow Thu 01-Nov-12 19:08:24

We've got another appointment coming up and I need to tell ds that we'll be going. He usually gets upset as it reminds him of the bad times in the last school and believes this is why he has to attend these appointments. How can I explain to him the purpose without making him feel that people are thinking he's different?

coff33pot Thu 01-Nov-12 19:32:13

I told ds that these people were on his side and want to work as a team together to make OTHER people see the mistakes they are making and change it all to make school a happier place

Handywoman Thu 01-Nov-12 21:40:32

I could use some tips for our next trip to the child development centre. Dd (age 7, under assessment for high functioning asd) is going to start asking why she has to keep going? She is in the main a happy chappy.I don't know what to tell her..... All ideas gratefully received.

Handy x

endoftherainbow Thu 01-Nov-12 21:48:55

Ds is 6. He has midday supervision to help at playtime but struggles as doesn't like the 'attention' and tells them to go away. He seems aware that he's different from when he was at nursery (up to 2.5yr), and thinks these days he's just naughty. He is aware of some extra support at school following yesterday and this afternoon went out of his way to avoid any contact with this person - locked them out. Want to explain in such a way that he doesn't think he's 'weird' or then try to manipulate his way out of things at school. And as for not getting a dx, trying not to consider that one.

coff33pot Thu 01-Nov-12 22:00:20

Ds classed himself as naughty or bad. It was easy for me as he found school so stressful and that everyone was against him. So to say they understand how hard it was for him and that they could make the school understand for him to be able to tell them he needed a break for example made him more willing to go and participate in the assessments.

endoftherainbow Thu 01-Nov-12 22:05:04

He is really down on himself and even school has acknowledged that he isn't readily able to accept praise. School are going down the 'compliance' route but he has an uncontrollable need at time to remove himself when it gets too much. I'll try the approach you've suggested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now