Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Scope support groups - any experience?

(4 Posts)
Bluebirdonmyshoulder Wed 31-Oct-12 17:26:21

Hi, started another thread to introduce myself but wanted to ask specifically if anyone has any experience of the Scope support groups. Oddly enough I don't really feel like meeting up with my NCT group at the moment and they weren't the greatest group anyway.

Have some lovely RL friends but would like to be around people who REALLY know how I'm feeling.

Thanks.

cansu Wed 31-Oct-12 17:47:26

I haven't had any experience of these groups but I do really advocate getting to know some other mums of dc with Sn. I was going to post on your other thread to mention how much help and support I have had from another mum who has a dc with SN. We met totally by chance in a waiting room but she has really been a huge support to me and I hope I have been able to help her. Standard mother and baby groups can often highlight the differences and make you feel worse so I would definitely try these groups out. I also wanted to tell you not to feel bad about being completely overwhelmed about your dd diagnosis. It does get better but I remember how traumatic it was for me when I was first told something was wrong with ds. Be kind to yourself.

Bluebirdonmyshoulder Wed 31-Oct-12 18:12:26

Thanks cansu you're spot on about standard groups highlighting the differences. I just can't face them, or FB posts of people's healthy children.

cansu Wed 31-Oct-12 18:25:40

I think you absolutely have to protect yourself from 'normal' stuff a bit while you get to a better place and have a better understanding of what your dd condition will mean. I am still very careful about this and avoid occasions that I know will upset me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now