Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How does your sn DC cope with Haloween? (if they are scared of it all?)

(7 Posts)
marjproops Tue 30-Oct-12 19:23:22

Mines autistic and is scared witless by trick or treaters/displays in shops etc.

every year there's a prob at this time of year. wether I put a notice up or not makes no diff.

Ive put before 'no trick or treat, disabled child scared of noise and horror, please respect wishes. thank you' or words to that effect....no dice.

we shut front gate, turn off all lights, take batteries out of doorbell etc etc yet STILL get the banging on door, shit and other stuff thru letterbox etc etc etc.

What do you do? any other suggestions? Its only 1 night but it gives DC nighmares for a week. AND the fireworks too.

marjproops Tue 30-Oct-12 19:43:47

Just mine then????

MUST be more out there.

wasuup3000 Tue 30-Oct-12 19:54:05

Take him upstairs with some headphones and put his fav dvd, game, music on - disconnect the doorbell and turn the lights off downstairs, draw the curtains, park any vehicles round the corner not near the house or on the driveway.

marjproops Tue 30-Oct-12 20:06:05

thanx. got headphones ready and we do turn lights off, but i wonder if cars not in drive it gives impression that house is empty and there have been a spate of burgalries recently in my area, so got to keep car in. car is always in driveway so pretty obv when we go out..okay during day but not at night....

hopefully wont go on too long....lets pray for rain!!!!!

CelstialNavigation Wed 31-Oct-12 20:04:16

I feel your pain. We have any ambient noise DS likes on here - so music on repeat, the dishwasher on etc.

One year we just stuck a basket with crisp packets in in our porch and they helped themselves - preferably not visible from the road but obvious once any hard-to-deter ones get to the door.

You need to check that every so often as they may knock to tell you the basket is empty but it does save you a few groups - they don't care much about knocking once they get the treat and they don't feel inclined to put stuff through the letterbox as you are treating them.

It meets them halfway.

mymatemax Wed 31-Oct-12 20:14:59

couldnt care less, all going over his head this year tbh.
Although think he may object if a stranger knocks on the door & i hand over the contents of the sweet jar

DameEnidsOrange Wed 31-Oct-12 20:16:17

We would print off a big "NO TRICK OR TREATERS PLEASE" poster that our Police had on their website and put this on the door and in the window so that the more respectful T or T parents would not let their DCs call.

We would shut the curtains and turn off lights downstairs and stay upstairs with headphones etc on.

And like Celestial we used to stick a bowl with sweets on the doormat so it wasn't visible from the path with a note saying "help yourself but do not knock"

October was awful as his behaviour would deteriorate drastically in anticipation.

The stress continued with fireworks too sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now