Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anybody unhappy with their CAF?

(15 Posts)
2006hildy Sun 28-Oct-12 13:17:57

I am.
CAFs SHOULD be an excellent resource but they are as only as good as the so called professionals in them.
“So basically what I’m saying is that our LEA also used the don’t look, don’t find, don’t have to provide for' philosophy and are quoting about the statement only providing for 'identified needs' just be aware that this is what some LEA seem to be doing”
I feel it’s not working and need to prove it to ask for Statutory Assessment.
It has not improved my DS outcome so he is obviously not getting the right support with social interaction and social communication.
At our last TAC meeting:
1. the Autism Advisory service had not seen our son since the last one six months ago.
2. They had changed the SALT again and she was getting to know my son again!
3. The teacher had very little to say and had no evidence of how son was doing.
4.The School Family Worker could not make it, they are the Lead Professional!

I wouldn't mind helping him catch up with a tutor if the system was working properly. I feel fleeced. Hence my post.
I feel there really is nothing I can do except apply for a Statutory Assessment but they STILL say he doesn't need one.
Thanks for all you help so far, sorry if I am repeating myself but feel closer to nailing it!
Can someone help with ammunition?

Handywoman Sun 28-Oct-12 14:26:03

....as far as ammunition, I would be pressing for proof that your ds is making no progress through the curriculum? Your ds teacher must surely have records of progress (or lack of)? Did you ask for this at the TAC meeting?

HW x

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Oct-12 14:32:15

hildy, where are you getting the information that you put in quotes on these threads?

2006hildy Sun 28-Oct-12 21:00:02

Handywoman I just got end of year reports in July, Nothing else was offered.

StarlightMcKenzie just from another person trying to help me. Why is it wrong?

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Oct-12 21:05:45

No hildy. It isn't wrong at all but it's like being only half in a conversation.

I would really love to help you, but I feel I have too much anger towards your LA to do so impartially and don't want to push you further than you need to go or may be able to.

I would advise getting help from one of the charities, and laying on thick that you have a touch of communication difficulties yourself as they may we give you additional support and advocacy if you tell them this.

2006hildy Sun 28-Oct-12 22:15:18

I've got no proof or diagnosis of my own problems as they didn't work the same way 40 odd years ago.

Who do you suggest - charities wise?

God knows I could do with the help!

Anyway I am determined enough to get help for my boy.

Thank-you

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Oct-12 22:17:35

IPSEA or SOSSEN. You don't need proof, just explain your difficulties as clearly as you can and get tell them it means you are at a disadvantage when advocating for your Ds. They both know Herts and may well allocate you someone to help.

2006hildy Wed 31-Oct-12 05:29:14

Thank-you for your help so far.
It has taken me a while to think about my reply.
Is the CAF team set up (for one reason amongst a host) to avoid statementing? Sorry if it is a stupid question. There just seems to be a systemic beurocratic block to avoid helping DS.
Like most people have advised just go ahead and start SA which just makes a mockery of the CAF system and I do think might be wise to fund independent Ed Psych and SALT.
Sossen have great concise information.
Ipsea have great case examples.
Parent Partnership is very difficult to get hold of.
Cafamily org I shall contact them next.

2006hildy Fri 02-Nov-12 04:53:44

It was my understanding that the Common Assessment Framework (CAF) was to assess a child’s additional needs and decide how those are met also.

The positive side to the CAF and where all agencies sit round table and try and help family as a whole without having to give same information in separate meetings having to repeat yourself to everyone to get help.

I just don't feel this has happened, as information given in my first post. The professionals have been really sloppy and not given much help or information. I have already complained to the CAF administrator and Lead Professional who do I complain to next?

I have applied for Statutory Assessment in the meantime as I have been advised this is the only way to get these so called professionals to sit up, take note and do their job.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 02-Nov-12 13:36:15

Write to the CAF leader and tell them, in writing, that since there have been no benefit to your DS of the CAF process then you wish to make it clear you now do not give consent for agencies to share any information on your child, that if anyone requires any information they should come directly to you for it.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 02-Nov-12 13:37:35

The purpose of a CAF in Herts is to get the parent to sign for agencies to talk to each other about you, which will work against you when Persuing a statement.

mymatemax Fri 02-Nov-12 13:46:21

Start afresh, write to the LEA requesting formal assessment for statement.

His needs have not been met with the support in place, progress has not been made at the current level of support etc etc.

Dont get bogged down in local process, stick to the timeline & framework for Stat Assessment. SEN COP should be able to support you.
If they claim they are supporting via a CAF then all the more grounds for statementing as progress not made.

mymatemax Fri 02-Nov-12 13:50:08

& you do not need to prove the CAF is not working, if it is then they should be able to produce evidence of progress & targetss met.

Keep it simple. Dont allow them to tie you in knots with their chosen process.

2006hildy Fri 02-Nov-12 16:10:49

I have applied for Statutory Assessment (or letter to the LEA requesting formal assessment for statement) today whoohoo! 2/11/12 It's in the post Recorded Delivery. It took absolutely ages but I think it's a good one.

I should know what is happening within six weeks by 14/12/12, so will let you know. That's handy before Xmas.

Mymatemax Good point. I will have to memorize this "they should be able to produce evidence of progress & targets met." if the CAF is a good one, when they bamboozle me.

mymatemax Fri 02-Nov-12 16:45:50

Well done. The ball is very firmly in their court now.
Ensure they stick to the SA process & within the timelines.
Keep your written communication with them swift business like & to the point.

The only time you need to overload them with words is when you produce the mountain of evidence in support of your sons need for SA & statement if they dont play ball straight off & then you can shock them with reems of well presented written evidence grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now