Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Finding One-on-one for child in mainstream private nursery

(5 Posts)
ASchwarz Sun 28-Oct-12 12:10:47

Any advice on finding a one-on-one to help my 4 year old in his mainstream nursery? The school won't take have him otherwise & not much luck finding someone other than going to expensive agencies & not getting great candidates.

eatyourveg Sun 28-Oct-12 12:53:26

ds2 had one at his private nursery. My local mainstream nursery where ds1 had been was totally against having him. When I registered him at the private one, I laid my cards on the table and said he comes with xyz so will probably need abc. They sorted it. Didn't pay any extra either, even though they had no experience of sn, (talking late 90s) they were willing to learn and totally embraced him and contacted the pre school advisor at the LEA who visited him there. They wrote his IEP and the SALT also established links there. He later did a dual placement with the sn nursery.

Contact the preschool bod at the LA

PurplePidjInAPointyHat Sun 28-Oct-12 13:20:58

Aren't they denying him an education based on his needs? If 1:1 is in his Statement then it's up to them to provide it, with funding from the LEA

My experience is in schools but I've never known it to be the parent's responsibility to recruit their staff?!

AgnesDiPesto Sun 28-Oct-12 20:31:05

Nursery just gave one of their own staff extra hours. Agree its for the nursery to do usually they can access a pot of money from the Council to do this.

zzzzz Sun 28-Oct-12 20:38:49

Is this a state run ms nursery? Surely they organise and get funding not you?

For private, you pay but they hire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now