Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

sensory integration/processing. No sense of smell?

(14 Posts)
DaveMccave Sat 27-Oct-12 21:01:04

Hi,
DD got really upset the other day when I asked her if she could smell the dinner from the slow cooker when we came through the front door. (it was really strong). She got really cross with me and said she's told me before she can't smell anything. I don't know if this is true or not, any ideas of how to sneakily find test her? I asked her to smell a few things with her eyes shut but she just said she couldn't smell them, and I'm not sure if she was being contrary or not. She was referred by school last year (reception) for adhd, but her teacher this year thinks she is fine and has 'matured' and is only a little distractable so the referral has stopped. I'm really happy with this and glad she has a tolerant teacher. She matches all the things for being hypo-sensitive though and now with this smell thing, I'm wondering if it's been that all along?

Strongecoffeeismydrug Sat 27-Oct-12 21:17:22

DS with ASD up until this year couldn't smell anything,he could sit next to our old farty,stinky dog and not even flinch when we had to leave the room gipping,ditto when we visited farms ect and it stunk he said he couldn't smell anything.
It's only been the last few months that he's dhocked us by saying things smell,or telling me he doesn't like my perfume ect so Im of no help but I think sensory issues can change

justaboutchilledout Sat 27-Oct-12 21:23:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Sat 27-Oct-12 21:42:09

Try the sensory stuff from the Montessori nursery level curriculumn.

I would come at it side ways start with sound, weight, texture, taste, then smell. They are all matching games (and harder than they look). You can buy them on line (but in all honesty you can make them for pennies).

I'm beginning to feel like their bloody agent but,

www.absorbentminds.co.uk/acatalog/info_S_13_51.html

bochead Sat 27-Oct-12 23:36:36

My Mum has no sense of smell. She's 76 so not everyone outgrows it lol! Oddly though she's very visually squeamish - cannot stand sight of blood etc. She's an introvert but but not on the spectrum. people forget sensory issues can be around hypo as well as hyper. The ex who is AS seems impervious to temperature and a close friends ASD son has no sense of pain, (which IS a real worry).

PipinJo Sun 28-Oct-12 00:01:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

devientenigma Sun 28-Oct-12 08:47:21

Yeah I was gonna say, I'm 42 and still can't smell. Problems I have had in the past are being smelly (as I don't know if I'd used enough) wearing perfume too liberally, and I hate being stopped by the counters in the dept stores to try perfume etc. Can't smell if somethings burning, flowers that have been given as presents, kids nappies (I was the parent looking down the nappy if someone said they could smell one lol). The worst one was sitting by the fire which was pumping out carbon monoxide and all I had was a slight headache, just thought maybe I was coming down with something. Terribly for me I was pregnant at the time and it did cost me my baby.

devientenigma Sun 28-Oct-12 08:49:16

Bochead I am also very visually squeamish and have an apparently high pain barrier.

zzzzz Sun 28-Oct-12 08:51:34

Oh dev how awful. Let me put one thing to rest, none of us would have smelt it. CO is odourless. sad

devientenigma Sun 28-Oct-12 08:53:41

is it, I didn't know that grin no it must of been something else cos hubby smelt it as soon as he came in from work, gas leak or something, does that sound right lol

TheLightPassenger Sun 28-Oct-12 08:56:35

sorry you went through that dev sad

I lost some of my sense of smell in PG, and it never came back! so I have to ask other people to check if milk going bad etc!

devientenigma Sun 28-Oct-12 09:00:26

yeah because the taste isn't good lol I always make sure someone uses it first, me Iv'e never had smell all my life

DaveMccave Tue 30-Oct-12 19:47:42

Thank you for the replies, sorry for the delay getting back to this I've been away.

The Montessori resource link is good, thanks. I might make my own version of those bottles.

Sorry Devientenigma to hear your story, how sad sad

She's a strange one with pain, she whinges over the slightest knock or bump but that's more for attention I think, she never normally reacts to nettle stings, didn't even itch when she was covered in chicken pox, doesn't feel when her lips are all chapped. She has enlarged tonsils too, doctor said that may have been because she had untreated tonsillitis, in the past her breath is a bit smelly and her throat looks red and when I ask if her throat hurts she says it doesn't and doesn't seem ill in any other way so I just let her get on with it. Maybe she just doesn't feel it.

Do you think the smell thing is worth bothering the doctor with or should I just leave it as one of those things?

zzzzz Tue 30-Oct-12 20:14:27

Enlarged tonsils, smelly breath, could mean sinus infection, or adenoids, both o which would impact sense of smell.

Clean teeth, steamy bath to clear sinuses, if improvement is only short lived, back to Dr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now