Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone done the PAWS training for a child scared of dogs?

(3 Posts)
Willmouse Sat 27-Oct-12 16:17:18

And did it work?

We are booked to do the course in December.

My DS9 has Aspergers and is terrified of dogs the point you can barely say the word. We can't go anywhere where there may be dogs and frequently have to cross roads to avoid them. He can no longer go and play at his best friends house as they have a dog.

Parents are now starting to take their dogs on the school run which has caused him to run hysterically into school on at least one occassion.

I am hoping this will help.

PolterGoose Sat 27-Oct-12 18:06:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Willmouse Sat 27-Oct-12 18:45:02

The course is through Dogs for the Disabled (although you do not get an assistance dog). It has cost £30 for 3 full days training and the only criteria is that you have a child aged between 3 -16 with a diagnosis of ASD.

I think they advise you on breed and training then provide you with ongoing support. Their site is fascinating, apparently dogs can help with empathy and social skills and you can train them to notice when your child is feeling anxious or help them during a meltdown. I'm hoping it will make a real difference on a number of levels.

Poltergoose, I am waiting for the day when DS jumps in front of a moving vehicle to avoid a dog sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now