Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dyslexia screening, where to go from here?

(5 Posts)
OhThePacesYoullGo Sat 27-Oct-12 10:28:41

Hello smile this is my first time posting and was looking for some advice/guidance. I have twin daughters who are in year 3. They are August born and a lot of my inital concerns with the school has always been brushed of by the fact they are the the youngest in the class. I recently asked for dtd2 to be tested for dyslexia, to which the school informed me that she was already on their list for screening.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but I wanted to give some background because my view of their Ofsted graded 'good' school has been somewhat tarnished.
The screening came back as 1.2 'strongly' at risk. I had a meeting with the senco, of which I initatiated and to say I was unimpressed is an understatement.

She blindsided me with lots of strategies for me to help dtd2 with and not once spoke about what the school would be doing to help my daughter. When it came to asking my list of questions she had run out of time and I felt I was being rushed. Her organisational skills were rubbish. She hadn't printed of a copy of my daughters screening test ready for our meeting, kept going in and out of the room looking for resources to show me on how to teach my child and answered the phone twice. My opinion was that she was so busy trying to be humourous and 'i know how tough it is to be a mother, i have a daughter who can't spell and how they all moan' etc that rather then make me feel confident I came away feeling bloody terrified that these people were supposed to be 'helping' my daughter. I wanted to deal with facts and details not her (my opinion obviously) fake empathy.

I asked about an assessment to break down which areas dtd2 was finding hardest. She said she would do it if thats what i wanted but it would take a whole hour for each sub group and 4 hours of her time to write it up. When I questioned her on how she would build dtd2 self esteem back up after it had been knocked down in the two years within the school she made me another appointment with herself and dtd2's teacher for after half term.

Sorry this seems epic. My questions are, where do I go from here? Should I push for the assessment and is she (the senco lady ) really qualified to do one? What is the point of a screening if the schools don't follow up with an assessment? Should dtd2 be having additional group help? ( Apparently this happened in year 2 without my knowledge and with no evidence in the school report, but has now stopped in year 3!) I spoke of overlays, but she gave no advice, just showed me the rulers and overlays and said it may help. Is there a head banging icon?

Is this normal school behaviour? Dtd1 is having her screening done in december and I'm strongly considering moving schools, but I'm unsure if this is a knee jerk reaction.

Things I have done so far, eye test, both wear glasses already but I have an appointment with one that deals with dyslexia and colour options. I have lexia reading on my laptop, a school software program to aid learning. I've started toe by toe and will mix in with the phono-graphix. Not too sure what else I should do at home, but a friend has mentioned kinesiology. Any thoughts gratefully received.

SallyBear Sat 27-Oct-12 11:11:25

Hard one. One if my twins has just been dx as severely dyslexic. We went through an independent Ed Psych through school. He is in year 8 and has struggled all through school. You sound like you are doing everything to help her. I'm going to be looking into colourimetry too.

OhThePacesYoullGo Sat 27-Oct-12 11:38:58

Hi SallyBear, thanks for the response thanks I'm new to all this so forgive me for sounding silly. Did the school suggest the Ed Psych or did you pay privately?

SallyBear Sat 27-Oct-12 11:47:46

I told the school I wanted an Ed Psych because from what I've learned it's better to get a dx through an EP. The LA ones are obviously under the pay of the LA so we had an independent one. DS2 is looking iffy so we will be paying for an assessment ourselves. Roll up your sleeves and do battle. X

OhThePacesYoullGo Sat 27-Oct-12 12:09:53

That's very helpful thank you. Sounds like I've got a lot of reading up to do, but the battle has definitely commenced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now