Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ds showing symptoms of bipolar

(8 Posts)
Crawling Sat 27-Oct-12 09:12:40

Hi all i have type 1bipolar now my first manic episode was aged 13 but as a child i had periods of depression and awful outbursts over active and not sleeping fluctuating appetite and still had tantrums at age 11. My pychiatrist said i was probably suffering bipolar as a child as bipolar children dont have full episodes like adults but extreme mood swings.

Now my son is exactly like i was as a child sometimes he is very upset over nothing night terrors no appetite and then he switches to being uncontrollably angry not sleeping and hits kicks me and his sisters he is 6. His current teacher and previous teacher have both admitted they are unable to cope when he is in this mood.

Now i keep telling myself i am being paranoid and my fear that i have passed on my bipolar to one of my children is making me see things which aren't there but i keep coming back to it dp does the same yet he also tries to ignore it as he thinks it is his fear too.

I dont know what i want from this thread i guess i just want to tell someone my fears who wont call me silly or judge me

GhostofMammaTJ Sat 27-Oct-12 18:18:47

Is there another adult around who can confirm or allay your fears? A DP/DH, GP?

Crawling Sat 27-Oct-12 18:50:49

Dp feels the same, i havent broached the subject with my mum who is probably the best person to ask she sais he reminds her of me when i was young.But its rare surely he is unlikely to have it this young.

TheLightPassenger Sat 27-Oct-12 18:57:14

I'm not sure how likely it is to be bipolar at such a young age, or some other issue such as anxiety affecting his moods, but I think it would be worth you looking for some sort of medical/psych advice about your DS's moods given you and school are concerned.

nostoppingme Sat 27-Oct-12 19:51:46

I think you should go to your GP, explain you are bipolar and you suspect your son is too and that your mother sees a lot of you as a child in him.

Ask for a referral to CAHMS; from what I have heard, bipolar in children is not recognised in the UK, only in the US.

Someone suggested homeopathy has helped their child a lot with their mood (this particular child was depressed). Also if your school has a designated member of staff who helps children with their emotions, ask your school if your son can be seen by this person.

zzzzz Sat 27-Oct-12 20:13:45

Homeopathy hmm

Go to your GP. They will help.

hazeyjane Sat 27-Oct-12 20:20:14

I agree, see your gp. There is a strong history of bipolar disorder in my family, and I have talked to gp about fears that I have had, she has been great in suggesting support that is available.

Crawling Sat 27-Oct-12 20:35:18

Thanks all I will its best to be safe than sorry and if I had been spotted earlier I would be higher functioning and saved a lot of heart ache. I will make the appointment thanks all for listening and not treating me like a neurotic mum which I probably am .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now