Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA for three year olds.

(9 Posts)
kmummy Fri 26-Oct-12 21:36:44

I've been told to apply by DS team. He's four in March. I've started filling the huge form in but googled and read on some forums they don't approve it if the child's under five and austitc...is this true?

kmummy Fri 26-Oct-12 21:40:40

I obviously meant Autistic!

Dev9aug Fri 26-Oct-12 21:43:06

no, completely rubbish. I applied three months ago for ds1 aged 3 ASD and got it first time.

coppertop Fri 26-Oct-12 21:44:29

Not true at all.

Ds1 was 3.5yrs when he first got his. Ds2 was 2yrs old. Both have ASD.

SallyBear Fri 26-Oct-12 21:52:49

Go and look at the cerebra guide to DLA. Read through the questions. You have to park how lovely and how much you love him at the door. Think about the behaviours that he has and apply this to his worst day. When you start to think about it in detail it helps to list all those behaviours. If in doubt get the Citizens Advice to help you fill it out. The Cerebra Guide is really helpful though.

kmummy Fri 26-Oct-12 21:58:44

Phew thank you ladies.

SallyBear Ive been referring back to that guide after spotting the link on here smile

It's a hard form to fill, but sadly easy to list how many problems we face. I just hope I fill it in how it needs to be. Seems very pot luck with who is accepted/declined.

5ThingsUnderTheBed Fri 26-Oct-12 22:02:33

What utter tosh. Ds2 was 2 1/2 when he received DLA. He has autism.

nothinginthefridge Fri 26-Oct-12 22:06:00

Hope you manage the form OK. Don't just list DS difficulties, but explain the impact if you can. I filled it in almost like a play script....DS does this, then this happens, then this means so and so happens iyswim.

Took me ages to fill in. Asked DH to read it through before I sent it off and he cried sad I think seeing it all written down in one go was so overwhelming.

Don't forget to photocopy it before it goes, then reward yourself with a very large wine

5ThingsUnderTheBed Fri 26-Oct-12 22:09:14

There is a guide on the cerebra website that is very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now