Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Fed up reading home school book

(23 Posts)
HotheadPaisan Fri 26-Oct-12 19:07:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

silverfrog Fri 26-Oct-12 19:40:19

I can sometimes get quite despairing over the fact that it is the same thing being written over an over again (whether good or bad!) - it all seems a bit, dunno, this-is-how-your-life-will-be-forever-and-ever.

no matter how it may be dressed up, there are only so many ways of saying 'making good progress', and especially when dd1 is going through a bit of a plateau, hearing the same platitudes daily does get me down.

I try to passively manage it by responding really gushingly to anything which seems to jump off the page as 'being' dd1, and quietly ignoring the more boring reports. doubt it works though grin

HotheadPaisan Fri 26-Oct-12 20:10:19

silverfrog Fri 26-Oct-12 20:13:17

I'm 3 years in now grin

I like writing back - I still have lots to say re: dd1 grin. seriously, there is usually something for me to say to them, but then I have all evening to compose it. they have a hurried 5 minues at the end of a session, so what I get form them can be quite repetitive.

I used ot love the reports form her last school - 2 sides of A4 daily, but split into relevant areas, nd real information given on targets etc.

I get about half a age in an A5ish notebook now. it depends on who has filled it in as to how useful/interesting it is.

HotheadPaisan Fri 26-Oct-12 20:16:01

silverfrog Fri 26-Oct-12 20:20:22

yes, i have a quick chat at drop off and pick up too blush

It's as much about keping the channels open as anything else - I get to know the teachers' 'voice' and vice versa. and it does help us when asking dd1 about her school day, as we can ask targetted questions, otherwise we just get 'I don't know' hmm

PolterGoose Fri 26-Oct-12 20:41:19

HotheadPaisan Fri 26-Oct-12 20:56:27

cansu Fri 26-Oct-12 21:07:48

I would explain how you feel to staff and agree that you will either simply initial the record each day or ask them to stop using the book if you prefer. I have one of these books for ds1 but it is quite useful as he goes to school by taxi and therefore I don't have chance to speak to staff. Having said that I don't often write much. I just initial to show that I have read it.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Fri 26-Oct-12 21:40:14

We changed the boy I look after book because ir was soooooooo negative.Now we have a book that he has to write 2 positive thongs a day.Anythibg that the parents need to know we email.Hipe this helps.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Fri 26-Oct-12 21:41:01

Positive things obviously not thongs lol

grinnbareit Fri 26-Oct-12 22:29:12

lol.....sorry just needed to laugh at your last posts!

endoftherainbow Fri 26-Oct-12 22:51:43

We had a home/school book at the last school. They tried to do the same at the new school but ds found it and said it was his 'naughty book'. Brief chats and meetings when necessary are what is required. School can keep their log of incidents. If their role is to support us also, a home/school book can grind you down - it's bad enough dodging looks in the playground, least of all dreading what words have been briefly written at the end of the day. I would enjoy explaining thong to my 6 yr old ds - with his straight talking at school it may raise some eyebrows!

mariammma Fri 26-Oct-12 22:53:53

It's useful to have a daily parent-held incident log... Be very careful of losing that document for emotional reasons.

HotheadPaisan Sat 27-Oct-12 00:00:18

endoftherainbow Sat 27-Oct-12 09:58:21

Maria makes a valid point, but there are other ways of maintaining 'incident' communication. A suggestion at school for a weekly summary rather than daily or, don't read it daily but save it for when you feel you can read it.

HotheadPaisan Sat 27-Oct-12 10:17:43

Pixel Sat 27-Oct-12 11:51:53

Ds goes by taxi and is non-verbal so the book is the only way I have a clue what he has been up to, although often it just says "all well" or "a good day".

I agree with mariammma in that it is handy to have a record. If I'm concerned about anything eg ds coming home with a bruise or a scratch I 'mention' it (in a friendly way, not accusing) in the book so that if anything more comes of it, there is a record that the teacher was aware of a potential problem x weeks ago.

Of course I can see it's different if you actually get to speak to the teacher every day if you need to and if your child can tell you things.

HotheadPaisan Sun 28-Oct-12 07:22:33

Inaflap Sun 28-Oct-12 15:54:49

I found it all really depressing and actually it almost wrecked my relationship with DS 1 as i found they put down every little thing. The spelling of the TAs was also of concern. Then when we got home I would blow up at DS when in actuality some of the stuff was trivial and what any child would do. It did lead to some amusing incidents however the best one being. 'please could you let us have a list of family members as he keeps talking about soneone called Mary Poppins, and I wondered if it was someone in the family'. Yes, seriously. You can imagine what I wrote back. Life was much better once we stopped the home school book. He used to get so anxious about things written down in it.

HotheadPaisan Mon 29-Oct-12 10:13:15

Pixel Mon 29-Oct-12 19:24:32

Lol at having Mary Poppins in the family, I wish! grin

inappropriatelyemployed Tue 30-Oct-12 22:22:16

I know exactly what you mean. I gave up on the book and just talk to staff. DS is, however, learning to write his own comments and concerns in a book and his teacher writes back for him. That is working well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now