Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

book out next month, girl born with CP became consultant in A&E

(5 Posts)
Sleepstarved Fri 26-Oct-12 15:34:37

‘So Many Everests: From Cerebral Palsy to Casualty Consultant’.
Its told from her mother's point of view to start with and then the daughter take up the story in the second half apparently.
May offer some inspiration for those dealing with CP.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 26-Oct-12 15:52:23

Thank you. It might be a good read.

So long as it isn't 'Look what you can do if only you try hard enough, you benefit scrounger' type stuff.

Sleepstarved Fri 26-Oct-12 16:28:16

I don't know star, it may be, but from what I've seen she had to fight to get into mainstream school, faced bullying and a lot of prejudice.
Might be worth having a read of a review/summary when it's out.
Don't know when that is or who is publishing it though, sorry.

sneezecakesmum Fri 26-Oct-12 16:42:52

Interesting. I've met several disabled doctors who've done very well in their careers despite CP, wheelchairs etc smile

bigbluebus Fri 26-Oct-12 16:58:32

I guess it depends on the severity of the CP. I once met a 'friend of a friend' who had CP and was a Primary School teacher and DS is at school with a girl who has CP and is in top set for her subjects, and needs very little by way of 'allowances' to be made for her - except in PE and busy corridors. It is a very variable condition and I would think that to be a doctor in A&E, she would have to be reasonably physically able in addition to obviously not having any cognitive impairments. I've no doubt she's still had a tough life and a fight to prove herself though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now