Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Had DD1's Structured Conversation today

(8 Posts)
Lougle Thu 25-Oct-12 23:04:04

DD1's school implemented 'Structured Conversations' last year. The class teacher offers to meet with the parents in October of the school year, to discuss this year's targets - the aim is to avoid 'drifting' and really plan expectations throughout the year.

DD1's teacher was so fantastic!! She really listened to our contributions. Changed areas of targets when she heard how DD1 responds at home to different elements, ie. how visual she is with learning, or how she mimicks the teacher's voice when she's looking at numbers. (Round his neck and put-him-on-the-waterrrrr for number 2).

She also really listened when I expressed concerns about whether DD1's fine motor skills are preventing her from demonstrating her cognitive development, with regards to writing. We don't know, but what if she is capable of communicating with written words, but her hands just won't let her yet?? So she's going to consider trialling her with an IPad and Clicker5, but will need to discuss it further.

DD1's doing really well, they're really pleased with her, and I'm just so thankful that she's in the right place.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Thu 25-Oct-12 23:11:00

New name for IEP review? Sounds great, you've got a good school, there. It's nice to hear the good news for a change! smile

Lougle Thu 25-Oct-12 23:13:07

Tbh, her school have never called them IEPs...they set targets but they can change weekly, monthly, daily grin.

It was more aimed at making sure that every child is pushed to the best of their potential, whatever that is, and making sure that the parents can be involved in their learning. It's fantastic.

silverfrog Thu 25-Oct-12 23:27:48

sounds great, lougle.

one thing - dd1 is also held back in writing terms by her poor motor skills.

her school are working on typing with her, alongside all the OT/hand skills groups etc to encourage her writing.

she has really flown with it, and it seems to have had an effect - she can spell most 3 letter words, and make a stab at writing them now (since she 'only' has to concentrate on the motor skills part, having tackled the spelling/phonics bit via typing). just plain stuff, nothing fancy - labelling simple pictures, then practising mouse skills to print off her work, etc.

I found out she could type fairly effieciently when I realised she was accessing videos on youtube (on her ipad) which I had not set up for her - needless to say wifi is now turned off (especially as she uses the internet icon to practise her typing - must find her a typing app!)

Lougle Thu 25-Oct-12 23:34:08

That's really encouraging, silverfrog smile

coff33pot Thu 25-Oct-12 23:42:08

That is great news Lougle its a lovely feeling when dc are being supported smile

DS has just started using Clicker 6 at school due to both reading and writing issues. Its early stages but he is openly spelling out 2 and 3 letter words now and non sound out words! so its well worth using.

YoshysMum Fri 26-Oct-12 13:12:52

Silverfrog try dancemat typing, its free and fun. grin

silverfrog Fri 26-Oct-12 18:42:09

thanks, yoshysmum, I'll take a look smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now