Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is it possible to hire maclaren majors?

(16 Posts)
used2bthin Wed 24-Oct-12 15:39:25

Or similar, mountain buggy or other? DD is six and big so probably not worth me buying a mountain buggy but I think she'd fit in a mac major elite for a while?

Am in two minds because she needs exercise but its got to the point that I can't take her and dd2 out unless its an open space because she gets overwhelmed and runs off or lies on the floor or hurts dd2. She's not too bad on her scooter on the way to school and back but still a fairly scary journey and on holiday she ran off and down some rocks and slipped, it was very dangerous and showed me how unpredictable she is.

At legoland we had a lovely day because she was in a buggy thing, she loved it and it made it possible. So I am thinking it could help but then don't want to spend hundreds as it hopefully would be short term-am guessing the wheelchair service would not think she needs one so havent even tried them.

BeeMom Wed 24-Oct-12 16:04:22

I have a mac major elite we are not using any more... but it would be sent from Canada. If you would like to pay the shipping, I would be happy to give it to you (and I live at the Canada/US border, it might be cheaper if I go to the US to ship it). Let me know...

used2bthin Wed 24-Oct-12 16:10:03

Thank you that is so kind of you! I am not sure how much it would cost or how to look into it? Will have a quick google.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Wed 24-Oct-12 16:10:12

try wheelchair service, you never know until you try! Major/wheelchair would be supplied where I am on those grounds, they also come up on ebay and the fb selling groups if that's an option. There are places that hire pushchairs out but tend to be local services, there's also the red cross that may hire kids wheelchairs/sn buggies, you'd have to check with your local one.

used2bthin Wed 24-Oct-12 16:17:53

Thanks I will ring our wheelchair service but pretty sure they only will supply here if you have two children with sn! Which is mad really. Had forgotten the fb group what is it called?

Will also contact red cross thanks.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Wed 24-Oct-12 16:26:47

there's this one to try

used2bthin Wed 24-Oct-12 16:37:59

thanks I have just posted x

sneezecakesmum Wed 24-Oct-12 18:55:07

ebay always has a few too.

used2bthin Wed 24-Oct-12 19:35:53

thanks I have looked but they are £100 + . I think they are for up to ten year olds though so may be worth it. What do others do? She has sensory issues and a learning disability and its been a nightmare since I got rid of the buggy at four and a half tbh and before the baby arrived I just ran after her though the lying on the floor was trickier. She is sometimes brilliant and struggles with weight due to medication so I am in two minds.

BeeMom Wed 24-Oct-12 19:47:04

Message me your address - I will find out the least expensive way to ship you the one I have.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Thu 25-Oct-12 19:25:16

I don't think a major would last until 10, dd3 is 6 and we're just about to swap to a wheelchair, she's not completely out grown it yet, we've just had a few issues that has made it unsuitable for dd3 but I couldn't see another 4 years use.

lisad123 Thu 25-Oct-12 19:29:36

If your near me I'm happy to share ours with you. We only use it for holidays and days out atm

used2bthin Thu 25-Oct-12 21:22:57

Oh dear ninja and dd1 is massive for her age. I think then it is not worth me buying one especially as she is getting (maybe!)a bit better with walks. Been trying to call the red cross today and no answer!

Lisad123 that is really kind ! We are in Oxfordshire. That is all Iwant one for too and in the short term. I am panicking about half term as its just so impossible to take the two of them anywhere and dd1 is prone to going for the baby when at home, i rang the wheelchair service but they didn't know although did give me a number for a mobility company that hires out wheelchairs so will try them too.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Fri 26-Oct-12 20:24:33

I could take a photo of dd3 in hers if you wanted an idea of size? It could still be worth getting a second hand one, they resell well

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Fri 26-Oct-12 23:54:57

I have one going if you are in the SE. DS2 is too bloody big for his at 4ft11 tall & 9yo. If you want it, it's yours...

used2bthin Sun 28-Oct-12 22:24:30

Sorry only just checked in here had busy weekend. Thanks both of you and yes it would be worth it just for now I think as now is so hard iyswim. Couthy, thank you that would be great I will PM you now, I am in the SE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now