Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What's the best wobble cushion?

(5 Posts)
LargeLatte Wed 24-Oct-12 11:34:36

squillions of them on Amazon and eBay but which one should I buy?

ds2 (5) with dyspraxia needs one for school as he struggles to sit still and concentrate. He is erm 'well built' if that makes a difference.

Round or wedge. Pimply or smooth?

And I was thinking of asking that he sits on a chair on the cushion even when the other children are sitting on the floor as OT says he pays little attention during floor time and that his slumped position does not aid concentration.

Even if you have no opinion on wobble cushions, please feel free to distract me from th dark storm cloud dribbling rain on my head that arrived as I opened this latest OT report - good grief they are depressing.

ouryve Wed 24-Oct-12 11:59:25

I rather liked the discosit we bought for DS1 - until he broke the stopper! It's a round one, as the name suggests, with a smooth and a bumpy side and fits well on a chair or on the floor. I think some people prefer wedges if they're primarily for use on a chair, since they help to prevent slumping backwards.

coppertop Wed 24-Oct-12 12:05:07

Ds1 got on well with the Move n Sit one:

www.amazon.co.uk/Gymnic-MovinSit-Junior-Seat-Wedge/dp/B000FPYHAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351076509&sr=8-1

He has always been quite floppy and tends to slide off chairs by accident unless his feet are flat on the floor. It made a big difference because it meant he could concentrate on his work rather than use all his energy on trying to stay upright.

LargeLatte Wed 24-Oct-12 12:12:28

Thanks both of you.

He mostly slumps into a 'c' shape with a really curved back so would a wedge maybe be better?

BeeMom Wed 24-Oct-12 13:47:08

My DS used a Disc-O-Sit for years. I found it better than the wedge because the amount (and direction) of the support depended on the surface. When he was sitting on the floor, he could sit in the middle of the cushion and it would tilt his pelvis forward and help him sit more upright (he is very floppy, even at 14yo) but on his chair, he could sit toward the back of the cushion and it would lean him into the back of the chair and helm him stay upright. He was able to make fine movements in his seat constantly and that fidgeting actually allowed him to focus better. The wedge cushion is good, but we didn't find it was quite as versatile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now