Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA renewal chances?

(6 Posts)
akaemmafrost Tue 23-Oct-12 23:35:35

DLA for ds (HFA) is up for renewal have started the forms etc.

He was originally awarded four years and in that time has gone on to be diagnosed with three further conditions, dyspraxia, hypermobility and Sensory Processing Disorder.

In short I am just so scared it won't be renewed. I have read so many horror stories about this. I am a lone parent and the ska and ca make all the difference to us. Am using the cerebra guide just wondered if there was anything more I could do? Or even just some positive experiences to buck me up a bit. Surely if his needs have increased so significantly we have a good chance? Just so worried about it sad.

Dev9aug Wed 24-Oct-12 08:56:40

I have no experience of renewal just yet, but you asked for some positive experiences. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/special_needs/1594138-DLA-a-new-record so here they are.

starfish71 Wed 24-Oct-12 09:01:21

Just want to share our positive DLA renewal experience. DS2 (8) autism was on middle rate, low mobility for 2 years, renewal just gone through, took 7 weeks and they have increased to high rate care, low mobility. For 3 years this time.

Really hope you have positive news when you send forms back xx

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 24-Oct-12 09:05:03

As I said on the other thread, get help from CAB.

DameMargotFountain Wed 24-Oct-12 10:26:18

i think they key is to be clear and concise on the form as to how much EXTRA care your DS needs now. what you (and others) do and what happens if you don't.

copies of all reports, letters, IEPs, prescription lists, everything that is for him.

take your time, start early as possible to give you plenty of down time when it gets too much and be kind to yourself.

brew to start you off

good luck, we're all here for you

akaemmafrost Wed 24-Oct-12 12:41:56

Thanks so much. Ds is not actually in school at the moment as he can't cope there so I have taken him out to HE for a year. So can't get any school back up. He is still fully statemented by the LA though for when he does go back. Thanks for your replies smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now