Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

anyone else have a child with Downs?

(11 Posts)
cupcake19992110436247 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:09:47

Had my baby today, he has been checked for heart condisions but seems fine. Any advise would be welcome, on care, feeding... Ect. xx

chocjunkie Tue 23-Oct-12 21:35:21

cupcake, I don't have any experience with DS but wanted to say congratulations on your new arrival smile

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 23-Oct-12 22:18:53

Oh congratulations. Welcome to the world little mini cupcake.

Is he your first?

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 23-Oct-12 22:27:37

I'm sure that others with experience will be along later. In the meantime, congratulations on your little bundle. Such a relief that there's no heart problems. smile

zzzzz Tue 23-Oct-12 22:30:46

Congratulations, a baby boy, how lovely.

There are some other Mums with kids with DS. I'm sure they will be along later.

Welcome to the sn board.

Ilovecake1 Tue 23-Oct-12 22:37:50

Congratulations.

merlincat Tue 23-Oct-12 22:50:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sonora Wed 24-Oct-12 06:52:07

Congratulations! My ds also has DS and is almost five. Having had a dd I found ds needs no different as a baby to that of my older dd.....lots of love and many cuddles smile If you have any feeding problems ( sometimes babies with ds have poor latch due to low muscle tone, maybe slow to feed) there is some really helpful advice on the DSA website.

When you are ready I can highly recommend getting in touch with your local support group, I found their help and advice invaluable in the early days.

LateDeveloper Wed 24-Oct-12 13:44:31

Congratulations on your ds.

My sis has DS and now in her mid-thirties. She had problems with cataracts when she was a baby and was one of those babies that sicks up feeds a lot - lots of muslin squares Other than than she was pretty easy to care for as a baby according to my mum and my own memories.

Once she was about 8 months they started portage and physio (not sure when they start these days) but till then just enjoy your snuggly baby.

devientenigma Wed 24-Oct-12 14:04:39

Congratulations cupcake.

A proactive mam, very keen, how are you?? how was the birth??

I have a son who happens to have down syndrome among other conditions, including a severe heart condition, he's nearly 12 year old.

My advice atm would be to carry on as you are, being proactive, getting advice but not focus on peoples personal experiences. Everybody's road is different and you don't know how the road will turn until you are travelling along it.

The only thing I remember reading that was useful to me was when the tongue protrudes, tap the end and it automatically retreats. I coupled it with saying tongue away, now I just need to tell him. Obviously some days he needs his mouth open for different reasons, where his tongue will hang out, but you get to know your own child and when it's needed, habit etc Some say the method is good, others don't, It's each to their own but something worth sharing imo.

You have been blessed with a gorgeous baby.

TelephoneTree Wed 24-Oct-12 23:06:22

congratulations!!!!! what fabulous news!! I have a 20 month old with DS - feel free to PM me with anything you like!

Is he your first? Ours is our 3rd and he was just a normal baby BUT he did sleep an awful lot and took AGES to wake up to feed and then I had to prod him etc to keep him awake long enough to finish a feed and then we'd start again!

Our local hospital offers this amazing check list for babies with DS - hips, eyes, heart etc etc.

Just enjoy him and rest in the knowledge that any question you have is what all mothers might ask at some point. Ours is slower to learn things but as someone once said to me - it's like watching a film in slow motion. Everything happens but just at a slower rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now