Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS3 had his diagnosis today.

(6 Posts)
kmummy Tue 23-Oct-12 14:23:39

I can't fault the NHS. Spoke to the HV in April for a referral. Saw the pediatrician end of July and his assessment started the 16th October. He had the final bit today (ADOS) and scored 15. We have a meeting on Thursday and they've said today he will be given a diagnose of Autism. He's 3.5. And I feel totally numb.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 23-Oct-12 14:26:18

Blimey, that was fast. So sorry, but well done to you for being so on the ball and getting that referral.

zzzzz Tue 23-Oct-12 15:26:06

Oh course you are feeling numb.

Drink tea, be kind to each other, have a good over emotional cry and start your lives with dx.

Still your son, still your family, and he will grow up, so be hopeful for the future.

My ds still has no dx, but we were talking about how the goalposts shift as he gets older.

At 3 I longed to here him say my name, to tell me he loved me.

Now 7 he can make himself understood, is handsome, tells jokes, he can read and write basic words (about 18 months behind), is toilet trained,......I love him.

He still has a long long way to go but it is a good life for all of us. I now hope for so much more than "Mama I love you"......greedy eh?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 23-Oct-12 15:41:16

Exactly as zzzzz says.

Hard to believe there was actually a time when I would have given my life to hear ds speak, now I might actually KILL HIM, if he doesn't stop!!!

OP. There is a lot of help on this board when you need it. Just start a thread with a question and you'll get some answers. Start small and don't be overwhelmed. It was probably the worst time of my life when I got the dx for ds and the months after were dark. But they're not like that any more and they won't be for you.

SadieChanges Tue 23-Oct-12 16:22:54

Hi kmummy. Yes that was fast. My ds has just turned 2 and will be going for the ados assesment in Jan. I will be amazed if he doesn't get diagnosed with asd but I know getting it confirmed will be a black day. Do you have support where you are , family , friends ? Have you found any support groups there.

I have found a support group but I haven't dared go yet!

I just wanted you to know you are not alone. My health visitor came today and did ds 2 year check , which was pretty depressing , but she told me in my tiny area there are 3 other families in the same situation. It's a shame she can't put us in touch as sometimes you feel very lonely when it seems your dc is the only one with special needs.

It's all very scary but I hope that with diagnosis I will be able to access help and support and if I can't I will go private. Sending you unmumsnetty hugs. Have a big glass of wine tonight.

kmummy Wed 24-Oct-12 09:00:48

Thanks for your lovely responses. I feel a lot better this morning, in fact I slept better than I have in weeks last night!

Family wise everyone has been fab, it was expected but hearing it is far different! We go in on Thursday to meet everybody that has assessed him and hear their reports. They felt yesterday we should know the outcome and it isn't dropped in us in the meeting. There also going to discuss his care plan and where we go from here.

One of you summed up how I'm feeling. I'd do anything to hear him say he loves me x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now