Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Going to see Ed Psych tomorrow.

(7 Posts)
hiddenhome Mon 22-Oct-12 19:05:33

We have to go and see the Ed Psych tomorrow about ds1. I'm feeling quite depressed about it. I'm worried in case we're not taken seriously. ds1 is 14 now and his entire life has been a battle sad

We've just had a shit day out today and he's been sent to bed early.

Last years school report (that I've only just got hold of a copy of because he lost it) is full of stuff about not being able to concentrate, being messy, talking too loudly, bossy etc. Surely, this has to be good.

I hate fighting talking to these jokers people.

Ineedalife Mon 22-Oct-12 19:45:27

Good luck for tomorrow hidden, it shouldnt be so difficult should itsad

sweetteamum Mon 22-Oct-12 19:54:37

Good luck for tomorrow hidden

hiddenhome Mon 22-Oct-12 20:44:10

Thanks smile

I'll let you know how I get on.

dh and I have vowed that we're not going to be fobbed off this time. We've totally had enough and it's now or never <determined face>

Iceflower Mon 22-Oct-12 20:48:24

Good luck, hope it goes well [smole]

Iceflower Mon 22-Oct-12 20:49:38

blush smile even

hiddenhome Tue 23-Oct-12 17:33:02

Well, we went to see the psychologist and he took a history and we showed him all the paperwork and the private assessment we had done, which diagnosed combined type adhd.

The psych said that the criteria for a diagnosis of adhd is very narrow and quite strict, so it sounds like they're rationing the diagnosis of this delightful disorder - probably due to cost considerations and also because NICE recommend managing it with the use of Ritalin and they don't like to medicate children who aren't causing social/school problems hmm

We've been down this route before and I know where it's leading.

We've been told to record all 'problematic' incidents and describe what happened prior to the event and how we handled it (done all this before).

They also said they'll contact the school.

I can't see this going anywhere. It's like deja vu sad I feel very depressed and despondant now. We have another appointment next month to discuss what we've recorded and how we handle things.

I don't know what I can write about his tics and shitting in the bath, but, hey, perhaps they're 'normal' behaviours in the crazy world of 2012 where it seems that everyone is nuts and finding help is impossible unless you're sitting in a corner banging your head against the wall and drooling everywhere sad

(no offence to people who do actually do those things, but you know what I mean).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now