Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Finally got official diagnosis for DS1

(12 Posts)
starfish71 Mon 22-Oct-12 14:32:43

After nearly 4 years it is official, DS has aspergers.

I don't know if anyone remembers but we were left in a bit of a twilight zone because although all the evidence was there because they asked DS1 (just turned 14, yesterday!) did he want a diagnosis and he said he didn't they felt it would be detrimental to DS's well being if they gave him the diagnosis without his consent.

However, after a new speech and Lang Assessement and input from autism outreach and play therapist dr finally said evidence was over whelming and she was now happy to make it official.

I have told DS1, he doesn't want to talk about about it but I can honestly say he seems so much more relaxed and even came to the cinema on Saturday!

I told CAMHS that it was too much to expect a child to decide if they 'want a diagnosis or not', finally they listened and I believe DS feels a weight has been taken off him.

DS continues to do well in the PRU and is getting a bit of his old spark back, we are getting there!

Now just to sort out DS2's reading and elderly father in law and we will be laughing! smile

coff33pot Mon 22-Oct-12 15:45:52

Oh I am glad for you that you now have his DX smile

I so remember you being stuck in the middle.

Glad that part is all over for you x

starfish71 Mon 22-Oct-12 19:14:18

Thanks coff33pot smile x

ArthurPewty Mon 22-Oct-12 19:20:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedalife Mon 22-Oct-12 19:43:30

Great news starfish I was stunned when you told us before about the proffs asking him if he wanted a Dxconfused

It took us a long time to get a dx for Dd3 but for us it has been very positive. She is getting more support or at the very least understanding.

I am really glad that the PRU is working out for him, it is lovely when you start to get them back isn't it.

I hope everything continues to go well for yousmile

thewhistler Mon 22-Oct-12 20:35:40

I don't think I read your previous posts but am so glad.

When Ds was given his dx of dyslexia he walked tall because the ed psych said to him that it wasn't his fault. His brain was just wired differently. A load of self blame fell off there and then, and we were all "permitted" to have different expectations.

I hope it happens for you, too. It sounds as though it is.

zzzzz Mon 22-Oct-12 20:40:01

Honk honk.

Well done all, and now you can move forwards. grin

mariammma Mon 22-Oct-12 23:57:53

Aah, sigh of relief.

'do you mind if we give you a diagnosis of diabetes? or shall we just say for now that you have a little trouble with sugar and the injections of insulin seem to help a little....'
' stop interfering, mum, he's a teenager and may not want a label'

starfish71 Tue 23-Oct-12 07:27:26

Thank you all so much! Yes mariamamma exactly! grin

starfish71 Tue 23-Oct-12 07:29:53

And it does feel fantastic that my boy is getting a bit of sparkle back, it's a long road but can see he is becoming happier being who he is. smile

justaboutchilledout Tue 23-Oct-12 08:55:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

troutpout Tue 23-Oct-12 08:57:25

Fab news ! [ smile]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now