Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Surely, we can't be 'almost' there . . already?!

(8 Posts)
sweetteamum Sat 20-Oct-12 06:38:00

I've had an appointment with the Therapist at Camhs, who DD saw last week for the first time. DD had seen someone in the summer who wanted her to be assessed and from that DD was referred to this lady. In our area, we have a diagnosis 'pathway' so there will be a SALT, Community Paed, EP, camhs, lasc who all need to see her and send in a repport. At the final stages there will be a meeting where they will either say yes/no to a diagnosis of an asd.

DD has had all but the EP & lasc, and even these will be completed in a few weeks. The only reason Camhs would normally get involved long term is if it was mental health issue (on it's own, rather than with a DX of an ASD) or a referral had been made about ADOS.

So, camhs lady was saying she's talking as if we've got the diagnosis of ASD, as she feels with all reports she's seen, with talking to DD, us etc that DD won't need an ados, as each 'expert' has picked up her difficulties immediately and we shouldn't be too far off.

I've been fighting so much with regards to the Statement process & her not being in school, that I hadn't realised everybody will be gathering soon (I use that term very loosely) to decide.

Camhs also brought up DD's school and she does not feel it's appropriate at all for DD and asked if we'd thought about taking her out of MS and putting her in a SS. Obviously, we feel SS would be much better for DD and she said if we need a letter of support from her or anything else, that she'll sort it out.

It's been one heck of a week, with LEA refusing to assess. Then when the expert gets involved they see these things immediately and tell us we should assume she already has that dx, as it's just a case of making it 'official' now.

Sorry to go on (and on some more) but I really needed to get it out of my system.

zzzzz Sat 20-Oct-12 08:17:25

LEA refuse to assess.

CAMHs suggest SS.

Dx

Good grief! shock angry sad [happy] shock what a roller coaster. You must be spinning on the spot! Large English breakfast all found, followed by group hug.

sweetteamum Sat 20-Oct-12 09:06:18

Now why didn't I keep it short and to the point blush

Definitely feeling a mixture of emotions and it just goes to show the LEA will do anything to halt spending money and school don't have a clue - she did say that she goes to dd current school regular and after seeing dd she just can't see her there and no wonder she's terrified to go in. I didn't even ask any details but am very intrigued! hmm

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 20-Oct-12 10:14:42

LA will say CAHMS aren't qualified to make educational recommendations, however a tribunal will take them seriously.

sweetteamum Sat 20-Oct-12 10:53:13

I think she must of known that as she suggested LASC will be a great person to speak to. She is going to try and get hold of them this week.

Good to see a tribunal will listen to them though smile

Ineedalife Sat 20-Oct-12 10:59:50

What a week sweettea!!

Hope you get chance to draw breath over the weekendsmile

coff33pot Sat 20-Oct-12 13:04:28

Wow! that is all fast moving smile You must be meeting yourself coming back!

It is great that they are pushing things through for you and it is good to read you have a good pathway where you are.

I would take it in its stride with the LA being a pain in the butt as it may take time but eventually someone will make them sit up and listen x

sweetteamum Sat 20-Oct-12 17:05:01

Thank you all.

I just hope it goes as suggested yesterday. I think it was great for someone to say "I work with asd children each day and love it" she was really passionate and said dd was just as she'd expect an aspie girl to be.

I do admit, from what the doctors suggested about camhs, they couldn't of been more opposite - I guess dd just got really lucky and I got told to stop calling myself a pushy parent as I'm purely asking for what she is entitled to. It was very refreshing!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now