Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Would you send a letter? (nice)

(10 Posts)

DS2 has had a wonderful Paediatrician for the last 10 years.. community paed who visits DS2's special school. In contrast to the many docs we have seen over the last nearly 16 years, he is approachable, sensible, kind and pro active.. any concerns are taken seriously and chased up. He has a hilarious disregard for NHS finances ..no gate keeping here, and has ensured that DS2's physical and emotional needs are met.

Sadly DS's school stops at 16 and he will cease to be seen by said Paedsad However he is supporting us to the last minute in fighting for adult support, as DS2 (ASD, MLD and a few physical problems) is likely to fall between the cracks of now having severe enough LDS to automatically get help from the adult LD team despite most definitely needing it!

I'd like to simply send a letter thanking him for his help over the years! Would that be inappropriate or ok ?

coff33pot Fri 19-Oct-12 23:43:15

I would say it would be appropriate smile

Especially when he has stuck by you so I would say he deserves a written thanks and pat on the back grin

I hope all goes well on the adult team side of things.

mariammma Fri 19-Oct-12 23:47:44

Yes, send it. A nice gesture and most NHS people have a continuing professional education portfolio which he could re-use it for.

mariammma Fri 19-Oct-12 23:49:17

Are you sure community paediatric isn't 0-19 years? It is round here.

BackforGood Sat 20-Oct-12 00:13:57

It would be more than appropriate - it would be a lovely thing to do.

I'm a great believer in saying something or writing to someone when things aren't going well, and, in my mind I think that should be balanced by people taking the time to write or speak up when things have been appreciated.
It gives you a real boost to know someone feels you've done something particularly well. smile

SallyBear Sat 20-Oct-12 08:05:56

My DD Paed retired. I gave her a letter of thanks for keeping DD alive in those early dark months in SCBU and being so wonderful in the subsequent years. She cried. Yes it's worth doing. smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 20-Oct-12 08:33:23

Yes absolutely, do send such a letter.

bigbluebus Sat 20-Oct-12 10:13:40

I think a letter or a thank you card with a personal message in is entirely appropriate. I gave one to DD's community paed when she retired, and she was moved to tears.
Its a shame you lose the community paed at 16, we are fortunate in that DD will remain at SS until she is 19, so we keep the paed until DD leaves. (she will be 18 next week). It is good to have a 'constant' when everything else around us is changing to Adult services. I'm struggling to come to terms with who will oversee everything when we lose the Paed, especially as our GP, who has also been fantastic, is due to retire shortly. Adult services is such a different 'set-up' to childrens.

SallyBear Sat 20-Oct-12 10:24:38

That's the bugger of all this. You get a great paed and as your kids grow older, so does the paed.

starfishmummy Sun 21-Oct-12 16:48:02

I think the letter would be a lovely idea. What about a.card from your Ds as well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now