Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Friday Night Fred?

(40 Posts)
StillIRise Fri 19-Oct-12 17:52:51

I can't see one and haven't ever started one before. Have I broken the rules?

Anyway wine and brew and [cake] all round.

Not a bad week here. Apart from me being in the midst of an interesting reaction to celeriac.

StillIRise Fri 19-Oct-12 17:56:31

Oh. Amd Tis I.multiple namechamger. Previously sheela, taggie, ayc etc.

DD actually went off singing this morning. Last week was more eventful with her hideous spreading skin infection.

Strange child was absolutely fine with massive painful antibug injections but unable to take wee capsules. Anyway skin improving.

insanityscratching Fri 19-Oct-12 17:57:23

Rubbish week here hence the long whiny post earlier. Dd though has been a joy as always and older ds always makes me laugh. Ds though? well lets just say I have good self restraint grin.

iwanttogetoffnow Fri 19-Oct-12 17:58:57

Oh good I found someone. A big hello to everyone especially signandsmile. I have been away for a while and want to say sorry. Things had got bad with ds2 ASD and my depression hiding thinking the world would go away etc. out of touch with everyone now. smile

DameMargotFountain Fri 19-Oct-12 18:02:50

orright peeps - <twirls> NC change here too

i like this one grin

celeriac? what reaction have you had <intrigued>

ASD + DCs = bloody confusing grin

DD has kept me rolling in the aisles this week - she's found her 'indignant' gene wink other children are ssooooo rude (5yr old, hands on hips, scowling)

she's also learnt the art of massage at school, i'll send her over for a therapeutic session with you insanity <pours wine >

LollipopViolet Fri 19-Oct-12 18:03:11

I had a phone interview for a job today.

I'm being booked in for a face to face interview asap too smile

However, I'm a bit worried as they have a 12-9 shift pattern, and a 9-5 one. I'm hoping they'll let me just do 9-5's as with my eyesight problems, my night vision isn't good, I've got limited peripheral vision, and so buses at 9pm would be rather dangerous. But, if they say I might need to do a few 12-9's, I shall just get a taxi home, it's if it's weeks of them, I'll be spending hundreds on taxis...

Also started volunteering at my local CAB, who have been fab, and are letting me use a computer that has been set up with magnification software - which was already on there anyway, but it just means we don't have to pester IT to sort it smile Am a trainee telephone gateway assessor smile And I love it.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 19-Oct-12 18:04:54

Hi all. Has DS ANnual Review this week and I have been left feeling a bit bereft at my lack of opportunity to tell them they were all crap coz quite frankly they weren't confused

StillIRise Fri 19-Oct-12 18:10:21

Yay for interview! And amusing indignance!

Celeriac - nasty puky gut cramps and shocking wind. Diagnosed by DrGoogle.

Starlight. Don't you just hate it when you are ready, speaches lined up, sword sharpened. And you are left with 'oh. OK. Thanks'.

marchduck Fri 19-Oct-12 18:14:32

Hello, just wanted to post early to wish everyone a good weekend, before I have a glass or two (or three) of the wine DH is hopefully bringing home.

Catsdontcare Fri 19-Oct-12 18:14:52

Hi all. Ds2 is now full time in reception and so far loving it and his teacher is fab. Statement is finalised and we found out this week ds is eligible for middle rate dla so hoorah and huzzah. Like you starlight I feel somewhat bereft that I have noone to chase, argue with or send snarky emails to.

On the downside I have somewhat taken my eye off the ball with ds1 and I think he is feeling a bit neglected sad so a big injection of tlc needed. He's so together and capable that has been all too easy to allow him to get on with it but he's only 8 and I do forget that sometimes.

SallyBear Fri 19-Oct-12 18:22:31

Had a quiet week here. Revising for a resit next month. Wishing to God that I'd chosen an easier exam.... Ho hum. Also I've spent the day on Tuesday with Cup and Bea in hospital, so I've been a bit distracted of late by worrying about a little person. sad Anyway, hoping that she has turned the corner.
DS3 sent out his party invites this week. He came back saying that the girls were all a bit miffed as they weren't invited. I did remind him that its a football party and he had told me "No girls mummy. They're rubbish at football as they're always giggling and doing their hair". Oh dear blush

TirednessKills Fri 19-Oct-12 18:23:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TirednessKills Fri 19-Oct-12 18:25:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SallyBear Fri 19-Oct-12 18:38:28

Thank you Tiredness! I hope that yours went well. smile

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 19-Oct-12 18:45:29

What about TiredNewSkills?

LollipopViolet Fri 19-Oct-12 18:48:33

Could I ask you all, if you can, to tune in to the One Show in a bit? A friend of mine is involved in a charity that's being featured, and I want to help him spread the word.

The charity helps disabled people learn to fly light aircraft, and get their pilots' licence if they wish/are able to pass the medical.

Ineedalife Fri 19-Oct-12 18:52:59

Well another interesting week in the needalife household.

Never a dull moment here, Dd2 has come home from resi college for 2 weeks half term so Dd3 has got to adjust back to being youngest child instead of onlyhmm

It is trickier than I thought all this coming and going, Dd3 just cant seem to sort her position out ATM.

Good news is, school and SALT are running a program together for her after half term all about "What it means to have Aspergers"shock

I have been invited in to see what they will be doingsmile

I have had the maddest week at work and we have spent much time pondering why in such a small setting we have 3 Dc's on the code of practice and another 5 with Speech and Lang issues, we feel like we are drowning and trying to do the best for all the Dc's is really hardsad

Iceflower Fri 19-Oct-12 18:59:49

Hello all, don't usually get a chance to join in, as by the time I come in, I'm not able to keep up with all the previous posts! Hi Sallybear, it is good news about Bea, isn't it, and good luck with your exam. Hello everyone else!

It has been a strange week for me. Ds (10) missed two days of school as he said he was unwell but his GP pronounced him fit. The LA agreed to a statutory assessment at the first attempt smile.

What has happened with dd (15) is surreal. She crashed out of her MS school at 13, had a breakdown, went to tribunal and a £££ asd school, crashed out, is being HE, this week decided to put her old MS school uniform and went to her old school. She met the deputy HT and arranged a visit where she sat in her old tutor group. She came home and said she wanted to go back to school there shock. Even more shock shock shock, she went to a ex-classmate's home this afternoon (a boy!) and I am sitting here waiting for her to come back!

Seems like I might have taste of what it's like to have an NT teen!

Hi all. Rubbish week this week so I'm going to brag about last week instead. I wasn't on the Friday thread because I was on my way to Paris for the weekend with dh (child free!!!!!!). My mum had dd for a long weekend so we got to celebrate 10 years of marriage in a style to which I would love to get accustomed to. (fat chance of doing it again for another 10 years tho) but it was brilliant. The food, the galleries, the atmosphere.....

This week I have had parents evening. The new teacher responds to every concern with "oh my dd's do that! Don't worry....." hmm she has refused to let the VI service provide any support (dd is partially sighted, but I bet her girls were too at that age and are fine now.....) she isn't aware of any of the social problems dd has and sees her compulsive need to follow the rules to the letter as a positive thing and wishes all the children were like that. I tried to explain the dd is showing a very high level of anxiety at home and is biting herself as stress relief but it was water off a ducks back. So long as she gets level 3s in her stats she's fine apparently angry

Rant over sorry - goes to happy place in head.....

P.s. Lollipop - if you have to do the late shift apply to Access to work to fund taxis. (and you can try for adapted work stations

SallyBear Fri 19-Oct-12 19:12:48

Iceflower yes it's brilliant news about Bea. Keeping everything crossed for good recovery. Great news about your DD and the school - kids are a puzzle! confused

bochead Fri 19-Oct-12 19:27:49

It's been a funny old week, full of ups and downs.

highlights

Relaxed performance (eg autism friendly) of "curious incident of the dog in the night time" last weekend with DS. It was the first time the NT have ever staged a relaxed performance and I have to say they did an amazing job of it!!!!! We even got a Visual Story etc with the tickets in advance, and the staff were nothing short of lovely.

They are trying to do a Saturday matinee relaxed performance of all their shows, cos their first attempt was such a success. We have reserved tickets to Hansel & Gretal in Jan already. I thought it might be worth mentioning as a nice family activity for those whose ASD kids have NT siblings as it's a treat the whole family can enjoy together iykwim.

DS came home with "star of the week award" for his guargantuan attempts to improve his handwriting. He tries so hard that it's lovely to see that fact recognised.

My eye infection turned out to be excema of the eyelid that got infected. Cue masses of emollient and eye drops from new GP and I can now finally see the bomsite that my home became while I was incapacitated lol!

lowlights

The bunch of professional incompetents dealing with my adult sibling. If I thought children's services were bad then I'd encountered NOTHING till I met this lot yesterday sad I'm now really, really worried about my sibling, as the catalogue of mistakes they've made this year with her is beyond comprehension. I need to go get our family some legal advice on the situation and have no idea how to go about it. Something radical has to happen before something awful happens.

Greetings and salutations to all

Star After the fiasco that was my sibling's the mere thought of a multi-disciplinary meeting that doesn't leave you with more grey hairs than before you entered the room is beyond my imagination. You give me hope!

Iceflower - your story of your daughter cracked me up - sounds like you have the sort of "Alice in Wonderland" moments I do at times. It's really great her confidence has come so far - makes all the struggles worth it.

insanity - honking for you!

Has anyone heard from Imogengladheart? I worry for her?

hazeyjane Fri 19-Oct-12 19:59:23

Aaaaaaaaagh, DS GO TO SLEEP.....

I am full of cold and desperate for a hot bath, risotto (not in bath) glass of wine and chocolate, but instead I am lying on the sofa in the dark, with ds lying next to me stamping his feet (his new trick - dancing don't you know!) with a huge grin on his face. He has spent the whole afternoon crying out of tiredness and now he is full of the beaniest beans ever.

Everyone, sing a lullaby - now!

moosemama Fri 19-Oct-12 20:09:21

Just putting my head round the door, as am knackered, in agony and am complete misery after this week. I am really cheesed off that we have a 7 week half term instead of the usual 6, because we really need a break, but still have another week to go.

On top of everything else, ds1 has come down with a stinking cold and has a migraine this evening. The last time he suffered from migraines was when he was having a breakdown in yrs 3, so this is not a good sign at all. sad

Have read the thread and not retained much, but will try my best.

First and foremost - well done mini bochead on your star of the week award. smile

Hope you get the job Lollipop.

Insanity, no advice, but a big ((hug)) and lots of wine and chocolate to you. I am simultaneously dreading and in complete denial about the teenage years, as I fear ds1 will be very similar.

Iceflower - wow, but fantastic and confused at your dd and school.

Lola that teacher sounds just like ds1's year 1 teacher. hmm

Welcome back Iwanttogetoffnow glad you are feeling a bit better. I have been there and sometimes all you can do is go with it and come back when it feels safe enough to venture out again. Stick around now though, we are all here to support you.

Apologies to anyone I've forgotten (I blame the painkillers).

I am now off to sulk, rant and stamp my feet until dh agrees to go to the shop for chocolate. I could seriously do with a pint glass of wine tonight, but fear it might not mix too well with the pills.

LollipopViolet Fri 19-Oct-12 20:10:19

How exactly does Access to Work, erm, work? Can I use it for help getting to my interview, whenever it is? Who do I talk to? I'd really like the job, and want to be as flexible as I can, but obviously, my safety is a priority.

<sings lullaby for Hazey's ds>

signandsmile Fri 19-Oct-12 20:12:49

hello everyone! special wave to Iwantto lovely to 'see' you grin

we had parent's evening this week, and ds is doing well, his reading is fab, and altho there is huge gap between that and comprehension he is still doing so much better than we hoped... grin

I have been making ikea storage furniture all week, so dh's "playroom" wink grin is taking shape, next week we are off to teignmouth... yay! grin

dh has fallen 'on' ds twice this week, sad, so I think it may be time for him to stop doing the bedtime routine, as tired means even more unstable than usual, sad for both of them, (and if I am secretly honest a pain in the butt for me, as it was one of the few things he could still practically do with ds sad) Bum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now