Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

No diagnosis yet but I would like some advise re AS

(12 Posts)
AlwaysInWonder Fri 19-Oct-12 14:32:04

ds2 (7yo) has just been to his first appointment to CAMHS re possible AS.
The conclusion so far is that he has some autistic traits, enough to set him apart but not enough to really require any special help (yet).
So they want to wait and see how things progress.

All fair enough.
But in the mean time, what can I do on my side to support ds? He has some communication issues (taking things very literally but also not knowing what to do in social circumstances). The advice of the clinical psychologist (I think?) is just to carry on what I am doing but I wouldn't mind any hints and tips as to what I could do to support him the best way.

Any ideas?

AlwaysInWonder Fri 19-Oct-12 15:58:15

bump for the after school time.

AlwaysInWonder Sat 20-Oct-12 09:06:29

bump

WofflingOn Sat 20-Oct-12 09:16:44

Have you read this book?
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1853025771/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9557925909&ref=asc_df_1853025771 There's a complete guide as well, but it is one of the clearest and most useful guides around.
You need to identify what his personal triggers are in order to be proactive rather than reactive to his needs, and to manage situations effectively.
So what are the key issues that took you to CAMHS in the first place?

porridgelover Sat 20-Oct-12 09:27:14

OP the Tony Attwood book is an very helpful. After my DS was diagnosed, I did the Talkability course with our SaLT.
It was very interesting and really helped me to understand him and to explain him to school.

I also find that this approach really works with him especially WRT helping him understand his feelings and how to manage them.

Ineedalife Sat 20-Oct-12 09:30:49

Hi always
I agree with woffling, Tony Attwood is the man as far as AS goes.
We can probably be more helpful if you can be more specific about his difficulties.smile

troutpout Sat 20-Oct-12 10:20:58

Blimey did they really not point you anywhere?
No signposting to help / support ?.books? No information about therapies / social skills groups .
Just a ' yes... he probably has autism...Now run along'
God that's depressing sad
I found this book helpful
Also this

You can access some support groups without / before you get a dx ( ds started at a social skills group for children on the spectrum at 8 and before he had a dx). He still goes. It is run by a charity called crossroads.

Also find out if there any local parent support groups near you. They are generally a link to masses of information.

Good luck smile

What is happening with regards to school, are they aware of these issues, is he having any problems at school? It would be good to talk to your son's teacher about this, there may well be some support they can provide for him with social and communication skills. Our school has been extremely supportive of my DS who is 8 and diagnosed with AS.

streakybacon Sat 20-Oct-12 11:35:45

<Blimey did they really not point you anywhere? >

Sadly that's not uncommon. Ds was 7 when we first went to CAMHS. Paed said she was 99% certain he had Asperger's, mentioned Luke Jackson's book and showed us the door. There was barely any communication with the department outside of appointment letters and we never did get any support of worth (the Mental Health nurse came out to do a home visit and suggested the naughty step. She didn't come a second time). That seems to have been the way things were done, and shockingly our CAMHS were highly regarded for the level of support they gave.

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

OP, some good books suggested here but you might want to look at the more recent version of Tony Attwood as it's got a lot more detail. Stay on the SN board and you'll get lots of good advice.

suburbandream Sat 20-Oct-12 14:08:39

Same experience here I'm afraid. We spent a good hour outlining all our concerns, describing DS2 in detail etc, paed took notes, then snapped her book shut and said "ok, we'll see you in 6 months!" I nearly fell on the floor shock. He was finally diagnosed with Aspergers after nearly 2 years and since we moved to another area we have had much better support from CAMHS. Do you have any local charities/groups that can help? You might be able to find out more on the NAS website.
I agree that the most important thing is finding his triggers and being able to anticipate and prepare him for things that might upset him or cause friction in the family. The Social Stories books are good for helping children understand what to do in certain situations, and to prepare them. DS2 (and lots of ASD kids) likes visuals to go along with explanations. We have bits of paper with pictures and labels on all over the house smile

AlwaysInWonder Sat 20-Oct-12 18:11:10

No, no support what so ever and he told me to just carry as what I am doing as it seems to very good.
He is also of the idea that it is probably NOT a good idea to talk to the school (yet?).

I have no doubt that ds is in the mild end of the spectrum. Main issue is communication (social issues and making friends) as well as language problems (ie taking things very literally) which means he doesn't always understand what has been said.
School doesn't report any issue but then he is the type of child who will go silent and bottle things up whereas at home he will let us know when things aren't right! However, it does come out at some point because he is getting more anxious and stressed (with all the outbursts that come with it!)
The psychologist at CAMHS said he has a 'strange' eye contact as well a way of talking that is much older than his age (even though he has had major language problems and wasn't understandable just a year ago....). In effect, I was told he is not severe enough that they can offer anything and that therefore it won't be a real issue for him hmm. Reading the thread on here of adults that have undiagnosed AS, I have some doubt about that.

Anyway, I will have a look at the links. Thanks.

AlwaysInWonder Sat 20-Oct-12 18:21:07

Re support groups.
I have to say I am finding it uncomfortable. A friend of mine has a child with ASD. I remember comparing notes with her when they were little and finding they were very similar in many ways. But her ds has some very clear issues (even though he doesn't have severe AS iyswim). The issues she has with her ds have nothing to do with the ones I have. I think I would feel I don't quite belong there and use resources that others have much more need off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now