Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Diagnosis confirmed for DS3 - and I don't agree

(18 Posts)
justaboutchilledout Thu 18-Oct-12 20:36:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SallyBear Thu 18-Oct-12 20:44:56

Justa, maybe you are just a brilliant mum. smile

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 18-Oct-12 20:50:30

Can you get it to just be a Dx of ASD. Then you can interpret it for your audience accordingly.

AgnesDiPesto Thu 18-Oct-12 21:09:07

My DS is classed as moderate asd here so I think thats unlikely
I would actually score DS as severe but because his IQ is ok it evens out to moderate on the EP tests.
I can't imagine you are over looking anything, I think parents steel themselves for the worse case scenario generally so its highly unlikely you are ignoring anything.
Keep the faith! you have always been spot on with your kids before.

justaboutchilledout Thu 18-Oct-12 21:15:41

justaboutchilledout Thu 18-Oct-12 21:24:35

TheLightPassenger Thu 18-Oct-12 21:29:39

agree with Star. Nod, smile, and see what the future holds, carrying on as you are. And sod the insulation.

Lougle Thu 18-Oct-12 21:43:07

Justa - I think I kinda agree with your Paed, tbh. Obviously it's a while since I last met your delightful trio, but you are uber calm and uber patient with them all.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with his 'placement' of your DS on the spectrum, but I do think that whatever difficulties he has will be greatly ameliorated by your manner with him.

I also agree with everyone (you including) - who cares where he actually is - milk it for all it has when it matters, to get him the best support you can.

justaboutchilledout Thu 18-Oct-12 21:43:31

AgnesDiPesto Thu 18-Oct-12 22:10:09

The language is hard to work out, we're still in limbo on that one.
DS spoke early at 8 months, typical but stalling language from 18 months to 2, lost all functional speech except yes and no at age 2.3, started ABA at 2.10 and single words came back, hugely long haul to get to 2 key words, now nearly age 6 apparently inconsistent at 3 key words (although a lot more consistent when someone other than the non asd SALT is giving the instructions wink)
A year ago told by NHS SALT his language was disordered as well as delayed as every language structure had to be taught individually (which made sense at the time as he was learning language so very differently and slowly the second time around).
But now a year on he is making his own sentences, is picking up language from around him, is using it more flexibly - not in chunks as he did a year ago but mixing words - and last year if he learnt a new word he would drop the old one but he doesn't do that so much anymore
Are gaps - often he fails language tests for a 3 year old because he does not know for eg that for slow he is supposed to point to the tortoise (having never taught him about tortoises - mainly because he has never asked a why question, which is of course when other kids learn all about useless stuff like tortoises)
So now I am back thinking is it a language disorder on top of autism or is it just autism and will it continue to get better as his social skills / observational learning improves? Because the more tuned in he is socially the more his language is coming on with much less effort than a year ago
Also he is a good reader and comprehending much more of what he reads.
So if he does have a language disorder it sort of looks quite different than it was a year ago

Agree def the hotel

mariammma Thu 18-Oct-12 22:33:12

Being in a Maori environment may actually be a help. Obviously 2 sets of grammar and 2 sets of vocabulary is a complicating factor. But the resulting focus on non-verbal communication, on checking understanding, on visual cues etc, should more than compensate.

And Hanen type strategies seem to come more naturally and easily to bilingual people, especially those who teach languages.

mariammma Thu 18-Oct-12 22:37:50

And, with semi-NT dc2 and definitely-something-there dc3, I'm now realising that 'mild' dc1 actually has 'moderate but well-managed' asd.

mariammma Thu 18-Oct-12 22:38:51

I'd say insulation but then I live being cost and don't really like hotels grin

hazeyjane Thu 18-Oct-12 22:58:15

Nothing of any worth to add except, you looked like a pretty amazing mother to me, and hotel, hotel, hotel.

x

justaboutchilledout Thu 18-Oct-12 23:25:52

hazeyjane Fri 19-Oct-12 06:34:46

Ok, I have nearly been sick with jealousy looking at that link....wow.

HairyMaclary Fri 19-Oct-12 09:39:34

Ooh, we went there, to the wiatakere estate, for a celebratory meal once. Can't remember the celebration, do remember the place, lovely! Have fun!

Can't help with the diagnosis sorry, asd is not my speciality!

justaboutchilledout Fri 19-Oct-12 10:40:56

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now