Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is there an idots guide to getting a statement for an ASD child?

(14 Posts)
MisForMumNotMaid Thu 18-Oct-12 13:20:51

We've been hitting walls with the LEA, the school has submitted applications twice for a statement, LEA have never been in touch. After a year we chased the first and were told they had no evidence of receipt, the school progressed onto a second application and due to various reasons we moved to another local school within the last year.

The people at the LEA have changed, yet again, the educational psychologist is off long term due to a bad accident and apparently we're being loaded onto another ED Psyc but she hasn't yet had the chance to get in and see DS (yr 4).

County have verbally admitted they've messed up and have granted me a meeting along with DS's head teacher. I want to be armed with documentation and information to push again for his assessment.

We have a full CAMHs assessment for ASD, dyspraxia and ADHD. We are in receipt of school action plus with 1-1 Elklan support and external support for language, behaviour and training for the school via the county Autism school outreach workers.

With DLA I applied after the CAMHs team suggested it and got turned down. I reapplied, same child same diagnosis worded slightly differently having read the CEREBRA guide and was awarded!

I'm hoping that there is some sort of similar guide for helping me be a pushy parent and fight to get DS the support he'll ideally need in getting to a special secondary unit that caters for ASD.

Any guidance most gratefully received.

wasuup3000 Thu 18-Oct-12 13:52:03

There is some good info on the IPSEA website - basically apply yourself asap.

beautifulgirls Thu 18-Oct-12 14:08:38

The SEN code of practice is your friend here - push the LA to ensure deadlines are met re statutory assessment and threaten to contact the LGO if they are not sticking to these. Make sure you have one point of contact at the LA and ensure you communicate in writing by recorded delivery so they can not claim not to have received paperwork.
Sounds like so far they have just been making excuses. Don't take no for an answer and don't be afraid to say so. You don't need to be shouty and loud, just very clear to them that you know their lack of action so far is wrong and you will be holding them accountable. Quote the Code of P to them!

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 18-Oct-12 16:30:08

I've been reading the sen side of practice for Wales. They have failed on so many counts. I've started a point by point clause vs failed action document based on this. Thank you.

I've been on the IPSEA site and printed off some of their legal case examples that are relevant. All more power to my elbow! Thank you

What is LGO?

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 18-Oct-12 16:30:41

Side = code!

alison222 Thu 18-Oct-12 17:03:29

I wish I coud have found and idiots guide.
Parent partnership actually helped me lots. Have you spoken to them - some authorities they are more helpful than others.
wht I was told was to try to relate all Ds's difficulties back to education
For instance: hypermobile joints and weak joints - posture problesm and hadwiting problems - affect ability to keep up.
Hypermoility - PE needsto be differentiated
Social skill problems - group work and team games difficult - help needed
"meltdowns" = H&Safety issue for others
Problems at break and lunch lead without help need to inability to work in next lesson - affect learning
sensory problems lead to inability to concentrate and therefore learn
Etc etc
Hope that this helps

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 18-Oct-12 17:04:37

You won't get anywhere by pointing out their mistakes and malpractice, - you'll just get delayed and side-tracked.

There isn't any way to make them act any faster either, so go to the IPSEA website and download their letter requesting a SA and send it today.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 18-Oct-12 18:14:39

alison - your right I need to treat this on a task by task additional need basis. Thank you I'll chat to DS about his days and make a weekly task log as an example

starlight - thank you, you are of course right. I'm getting sidetracked from the point. They have verbally admitted they've done wrong rubbing it in their faces isn't going to make a statutory process happen faster if anything it could be slower. I'll get over it and prepare the SA letter.

mariammma Fri 19-Oct-12 23:51:46

this book

bochead Sat 20-Oct-12 10:05:43

Use the Model letter on IPSEA site.

Address your letter to the head of your local children's services department by name, and send it guaranteed not recorded delivery. Guaranteed delivery means the post office promise to deliver (keep your receipt) by a certain date, recorded just means someone will have to sign for it IF it is delivered. Subtle but v.important difference.

Follow it up by sending a copy by email (do a read receipt on it) - again to the named Head of Childrens's services. Mention in the email you have sent a hard copy.

Using both methods leaves no room for excuses. If you do it yourself, it's easier to monitor that statutory deadlines are being folllowed in a timely manner for assessments with the various profs who are obliged by law to contibute. You also retain a right to appeal that sadly schools don't have.

When presenting your evidence for assessment - it's all about what constitutes a barrier to your child accessing the national curriculum.

I then assumed council officers are often too busy to read all reports properly so included a one page summary at the front of my bundle of report submissions listing the key issues in bullet points when I submitted my application. Remember statements are awarded on NEED not diagnosis so assume the person reading it knows zero about SN. As you have it put the diagnosis at the top in bold type.

e.g -
handwriting difficulties = needs OT input + special equipment
behavioral issues = needs specific ASD staff training, ASD outreach & OT input for sensory diet.

I'm convinced my one pager helped as DS got a statement at the first attempt in an LA notorious for refusing first applications for the sake of it.

sazale Sat 20-Oct-12 12:47:07

A tip that I read which I think helped us was to ask your lea for their SEN policy and explain how your child's difficulties relate to which part of their own policy. Mine don't have one as they use the code of practice instead. I related each of my daughter's difficulties to the relevant section in the code of practice.

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 20-Oct-12 18:01:55

SNAPCymru, our parent partnership equivalent, have now made contact and are sending me further sample letters. They have also suggested I can get copies of my sons files from school and county and to put in the application by traceable means ASAP.

They talked to me about the local SEN policy, I hadn't appreciated that this varies from the national one - I can see from your comments that this is not unheard of.

So much to learn. I'll see if I can get hold of the book.

My very lovely aunty is coming to stay next week and has many years experience on a statementing panel, the other side, so hopefully I can pick her brains now I'm becoming clearer over what I need to ask.

Thank you for all your suggestions, I'm printing this thread out and making a bullet point list of them all to make sure I cover every point and give my DS the best chance.

BsDad Sat 20-Oct-12 18:07:07

I outlined the process we went through here:

and you can also read what we wrote in our supporting comments for the statement here:

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 20-Oct-12 20:11:33

Wow. Thank you. I wish I'd been able to pursue things as you have back when nursery were not able to take my son due to his behavioural issues! Many of the statement comments ring very true for me with my now 9 year old DS so I may do a fair bit of paraphrasing - it'll certainly make this easier for me.

As a single parent back then I had to significantly reduce my hours in my start up business and work at night when DS slept, not something he's keen on doing for long periods at a time. In the end I stopped working to keep DS in mainstream when they too had major behavioural issues with him. I had to sell the house to fund us but subsequently I've remarried, someone in education and now feel I can and should fight for him to get all the support he can. I'm just very sad for the children who don't have parents able to fight their cause.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: