Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

what if we don't get an increase in statement hours?

(8 Posts)
endoftherainbow Wed 17-Oct-12 12:30:41

We're ploughing our way through the assessment process of getting a dx for DS who is 6. CAMHS agree that he is showing signs of aspergers although it's not severe. It is however causing him to be a barrier to his own learning. He has a statement of 14.5 hours class & 5 hours midday supervision which is currently categorised as BESD. The midday supervision has helped immensley since it started as he does need help at playtime, but there is only TA support in class in the mornings. The school is now saying that the statement isn't enough and they need more. If we don't get more, what can the school do? Can they insist we leave?

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 17-Oct-12 12:42:39

Who is the school saying this to?

endoftherainbow Wed 17-Oct-12 13:32:49

The head teacher said this to us in a recent meeting. I feel that we might be getting caught in the middle.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 17-Oct-12 13:39:04

yup. If the school have resourcing issues they need to raise it with the LA.

Did the HT tell you what you were expected to do about it?

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 17-Oct-12 13:39:46

Is it a state school?

bialystockandbloom Wed 17-Oct-12 13:50:41

The school need to go call an early Annual Review and ask for more funded hours from the LA.

At the very worst they could say they can no longer meet his needs, but they should ask for the increase first!

It's possible that as his statement gives less than 15 hours they may well be funding this themselves, rather than additional funding from the LA - but as Star says, that's not your concern!

endoftherainbow Wed 17-Oct-12 15:47:33

I've requested an early annual review as ds has already been close to two fixed term exclusions for behaviour linked to his anxiety over the past couple of weeks. I've asked the school to quantify the support they used to put in before school ta hours were cut so that they can try to demonstrate the support required. My only concern is that the LA get all of their reports etc and go back to panel only to say; 'no change'. If we don't get the hours to satisfy the school, can they ask us to 'move on'?

bialystockandbloom Wed 17-Oct-12 16:44:02

If it's a mainstream state school, and they say they cannot meet his needs without the support they're asking for which the LA is refusing, you can appeal. Your ds is entitled to adequate education and if he needs support to do so the LA are obliged to arrange that support. If this school says they can't have him, then (in theory) any state school could say the same. So he has sufficiently additional needs to require either more support or, if a mainstream school can't meet his needs, then special school (which is, by the sounds of it, not on the cards).

Private school is a different story, there is no obligation for them to have you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now