Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

a little thread to celebrate lingle's DS2's parents' evening - and perhaps a little pointer

(4 Posts)
lingle Tue 16-Oct-12 19:33:49

DS2 (history of severe receptive language delay +sensory issues) was described as blossoming tonight, as enjoying class, participating enthusiastically and being able to pair and find partners in group activities.

It is because of this teacher's particular teaching style. She talks (or rather, doesn't talk) like a walking "It Takes Two to Talk" chapter on "say less, stress, repeat". She never expands her instructions, never interrupts processing time after posing a question. She's even like this when talking to other adults.

So for the first time in his entire little life, DS2 understands what is being said most of the time in the classroom. No wonder he is so enthusiastic!

I told her I had always thought there would be a natural affinity. She then disclosed that she had started her career as a nursery nurse working with children with SN and had decided the skills she learned there would be useful for all children.

We decided to sod the ginger bear sessions as it would be more exciting for DS2 to finally feel good at something in class than be in a separate group.

I asked her to train next year's teacher, and she agreed.

But it made me wonder - if we really trained teachers to understand hidden processing problems, wouldn't this save untold amounts of distress and millions of pounds ever year?

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 16-Oct-12 20:14:57

So glad you have a teacher that understands! Such a shame that it seems like a rare occurrence. So enjoy the year and hope the next year's teacher takes note. smile

Ineedalife Tue 16-Oct-12 20:37:32

Great news lingle, can you clone hergrin

mariammma Tue 16-Oct-12 23:49:36

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now