Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sickening, what else can I do?

(112 Posts)
insanityscratching Mon 15-Oct-12 22:35:43

Over the weekend I became aware of a You Tube clip doing the rounds that for me is heartbreaking, frightening and has reinforced my determination to homeschool dd from y7.

Posted is a clip of three boys goading an ASD boy to meltdown, what makes it so horrifying to me is that it is taking place inside our catchment school (supposedly a very good school).

I have contacted the school and the governing body, had an acknowledgement telling me there is a meeting tomorrow and HT will contact me personally (led them to believe dd was a prospective statemented ASD pupil)

I've emailed the Inclusion Officer at the LEA and copied it up the chain of command.

I've flagged the clips on You Tube and left the school's contact details as a comment for others equally sickened to complain to the school (I've refrained from responding to the ignorant twats who think it's funny) It's had 35,000 hits sad

Is there anything else I can do? I'd have liked to offer my support to the child's parents but don't know how to contact them.

bochead Tue 16-Oct-12 00:04:38

Can you not forward a link of the clip to the police and social services CP dept? They do have some powers in cases like this.

An emailed link to NAS & NSPCC might do summat too (if only to put outside, non LA pressure on the school to ensure it can never happens again).

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 16-Oct-12 09:28:40

oh, so frightening!

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 16-Oct-12 09:28:53

What boch said.

moosemama Tue 16-Oct-12 10:14:54

Oh insanity that's horrible. sad

Agree with boch, forward it to the police - you could call the non-emergency number and ask them which department would be the best one to contact.

insanityscratching Tue 16-Oct-12 11:09:48

Well I've had a sleepless night so I've emailed the clips to NAS and NSPCC. I'm going to find the email address for the local police.Surely a criminal offence has taken place hasn't it?
Dh thought I was neurotic with regards to homeschooling dd until he saw those clips, now he's backing me 100% (I'd have done it anyway)
Nothing at all from the LEA but nothing new there is there?

1950sthrowback Tue 16-Oct-12 12:00:27

God that is terrible - but nonetheless itis important to remember that not ALL schools or all NT children are hideous - and my view is that if my DS can manage to get there at all (which has been a struggle at times), he is better off in school than at home. (I'm even willing to say that as my own anxiety levels are off the scale due to playground "issues" that DS is having right now). But I still (naievely?) cling to the view that he has some chance of learning social skills if he mixes with other -little shits- sorry little children.

zzzzz Tue 16-Oct-12 12:04:59

Horrid.

HE will be much better with Dh on side. Start training yourself now.

And yes police should be informed.

insanityscratching Tue 16-Oct-12 12:13:02

I'm well aware that there are some schools that are brilliant, dd is thriving in the most wonderful inclusive mainstream primary. But that clip is in the school that the LA will suggest for dd in yr7 and that has a reputation for being very good. What is more sickening to realise is that the incident took place next to the offices and near the prep rooms where there would be staff and no one intervened even though the goaders shouldn't even have been in the school at that time.

zzzzz Tue 16-Oct-12 12:55:38

50sthrowback of course all nt aren't awful.....most of us this board have both sn and non sn children and those that don't have family and friends.

Funnily enough social skills are not what is difficult about HE (says the woman with a very short experience of HE). Ds is far better socially now than when at school. Schools teach institutionalised social skills. Not only are those different and difficult for some sn, but they are also hard to generalise back into real life.

bialystockandbloom Tue 16-Oct-12 13:14:59

God how absolutely fucking sick sad

I am a despiser of a bit of a novice about things like Youtube. Surely there's a Report function? Is it still there???

What really horrifies me about this is that these sick little bastards people now have license to broadcast this stuff. Truly, truly scary.

Yes definitely forward to police. Surely it's a criminal offence and the perpetrators can be traced. Is there anything else any of us can do? Let us know when you hear back from school/police.

bialystockandbloom Tue 16-Oct-12 13:16:59

Local paper? Or would this give them publicity?

insanityscratching Tue 16-Oct-12 13:35:46

I have flagged with You Tube as abusive, there are now five clips (all copies) one has 50,000 hits. My older dd saw it on Facebook and reported it at the weekend, Facebook removed it but not before it was uploaded to You Tube. Originally there was one but it's obviously being shared, don't know how long it takes for You Tube to remove reported items (I suspect it's being reported repeatedly) I can't think what else to do tbh

bialystockandbloom Tue 16-Oct-12 13:55:49

And this just after a teenager killed herself after online bullying.

Have the school got back to you?

I was thinking if you wanted to send a message to the parents, perhaps you could do this via the school? They might be able to pass on a note.

UnChartered Tue 16-Oct-12 14:00:29

have you heard anything back from anywhere yet, insanity?

50 000 hits makes me want to weep

insanityscratching Tue 16-Oct-12 14:03:45

Had just an acknowledgement from clerk to the chair of governors, would have hoped for an acknowledgement from HT as I emailed him direct hmm
I think it needs a load of emails to the school and LA tbh to force them to get the clips down. I passed on my contact details through school I doubt they will be passed on as I think they will see me as trouble tbh.

insanityscratching Tue 16-Oct-12 14:05:07

Any SN mums want pm'ing the details and want to register your unhappiness?

UnChartered Tue 16-Oct-12 14:06:00

see YOU as trouble - i bloody well hope not shock

is the school identifyable from the clip? i would like to think the governors etc would be grateful that they have a chance to protect their schools reputation

insanityscratching Tue 16-Oct-12 14:07:57

Oh yes the boy is in uniform the school's name is on his sweater and it's identified in the comments on You Tube repeatedly.

bialystockandbloom Tue 16-Oct-12 14:13:07

Yes pm me.

Walter4 Tue 16-Oct-12 15:35:42

Me too please. Disgraceful !

merlincat Tue 16-Oct-12 15:48:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

insanityscratching Tue 16-Oct-12 15:52:56

Thank you have pm'ed

1950sthrowback Tue 16-Oct-12 16:16:17

I'm happy to help if you pm me- assume you mean to flag as inappropriate on YouTube - but if there is anything else, let me know (not the most clued up on this stuff either)

DameEnidsOrange Tue 16-Oct-12 16:20:28

Insanity please PM me too as well - I have a Y9 with ASD and the thought of what can go on at school terrifies me sad and angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now