Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can anyone recommend a book for siblings understanding ASD?

(3 Posts)
FauxFox Mon 15-Oct-12 13:37:36

I bought "My Brother is Different" from amazon and it arrived today and I think it's dreadful! Basically saying 'Your brother has ASD so can behave as he pleases with no consequences because he doesn't understand. You just have to put up with it, oh and while your at it take responsibility for keeping him safe and preventing self harm" hmm confused angry

Besides that awful message DS has ASD but does not need to be locked in the house, strapped in a buggy or wear nappies and he does sit properly at meal times and most certainly would get told off if he were to draw on the walls, bite or hurt people.

DD and DS are twins and are 7, if you can point me in the direction of a more suitable book for DD (DS is not self aware enough to understand his condition) to help her understand autism I would be very happy! Thanks smile

1950sthrowback Mon 15-Oct-12 14:45:35

Everybody is Different: A Book for Young People Who Have Brothers or Sisters with Autism by Fiona Bleach (1 Jan 2001) - you can 'look inside' on amazon before buying as I'm not 100% sure it is what you are looking for as it may also imply that you have to put up with a certain amount of crap as a sibling ("why does my brother break my toys") - but I found the explanations of why my brother breaks my toys very clear indeed.
I think you may have identifed a gap in the market - for books about ASD that say "yes you have ASD -however it's an explanation NOT an excuse"

FauxFox Mon 15-Oct-12 15:39:24

Thanks throwback i've ordered that one. It looks a bit more detailed and might be ok if we can pick and choose the relevant chapters.

I think you're right about a gap in the market! Explanation not an excuse is spot on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now