Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

We are all on the spectrum....

(47 Posts)
merlincat Mon 15-Oct-12 13:32:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HotheadPaisan Mon 15-Oct-12 13:37:43

merlincat Mon 15-Oct-12 13:40:08

chocjunkie Mon 15-Oct-12 13:58:36

I understand your frustration. I exploded recently very badly when somebody said it to me... angry

HotheadPaisan Mon 15-Oct-12 14:00:36

troutpout Mon 15-Oct-12 14:13:05

God yep .. This pisses me off no end

bochead Mon 15-Oct-12 14:14:51

If that were the case then DS would have been treated with an ounce of compassion by some of the "professionals" such as teachers he's met over the years rather than getting a range of horrible reactions from distain to outright fear.

Bless him, the poor wee lad thought he was an "alien" for years - the world made that much sense.

It's gotta be on a par with ADHD Mums being told not to give their kids sugar, or those in wheelchairs being spoken to really, really sloooowly.

"Walk away", she mutters to herself frequently when her right palm itches

Ineedalife Mon 15-Oct-12 14:26:15

I hate it too but I am not sure if it annoys me as much as.......

"Well all children do that, don't they"

I turn into the hulk when someone says it to me and it is nearly always bloody teachers!!!

Chundle Mon 15-Oct-12 14:27:36

I think its bollocks. I think it is a spectrum on which people with autism are on. But we are def not all on it else we would all have autism! I am def not spectrummy at all. My dh on the other hand....

perceptionreality Mon 15-Oct-12 14:27:59

perceptionreality Mon 15-Oct-12 14:30:19

BabeRuthless Mon 15-Oct-12 14:30:39

Ineedalife That was EXACTLY what I was going to put! Ds didn't eat breakfast this morning because he was too busy looking at some lampposts through his binoculars. But all children do that don't they? <claws at own face>

ouryve Mon 15-Oct-12 14:34:46

I do believe that a lot of people do experience difficulties in common with a very small amount of what someone with ASD has to deal with all the time and I don't doubt that there are a lot of adults on the fringes of the autism spectrum who are dealing with life well enough to get by and even more not getting by at all, yet don't have a diagnosis for a variety of reasons. The edges are very blurry IMO.

There are plenty of people - the majority of people - who experience no such difficulties, though.

But, and this is a big BUT - I really really object to people insisting they're aspie as an excuse for being an ass, pure and simple.

coff33pot Mon 15-Oct-12 14:40:10

Oh yes when I hear that comment I tend to want to blurt out then give him some consideration and understanding if that's the case you numpty.

but what irritates me more is the word THING or THEY.

poor little thing
happy little thing though
I am sure he will come above this thing
They tend to act that way don't they
Ooh you are an angry or nervous little thing aren't you.

Grrrrrr why is it our DCs lose their names all of a sudden!

Ineedalife Mon 15-Oct-12 14:42:38

"All children do that",
Was once said to me when I said that Dd3 had rubbed the skin off her face with her cardigan at school.

When she is stressed she licks her lips and then rubs them really hard with her sleeve.

At the time I spoke to the teacher her face was raw and in places bleedingshock

Funnily enough she has hardly ever done it since she moved schoolshmm

flowwithit Mon 15-Oct-12 14:59:07

I agree this is a confusing comment that even a professional has made to us. It made me feel patronised as our Ds has struggled with so much anxiety and suggesting that
'well we all feel a bit like that sometimes because we are all on the spectrum'
was totally unhelpful in my opinion.

UnChartered Mon 15-Oct-12 15:03:37

i'll be back for this, just going to collect DD

angry

yes, we're all on the spectrum, that's why you (not you, but you ) complain about your socks being twisted but i'm contemplating spending £5 a pair for seam free ones

Ineedalife Mon 15-Oct-12 15:11:34

And why I have spent the last 5 years trying to find school uniform and everyday clothes without buttons.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 15-Oct-12 15:14:15

Just say 'oh really? So where exactly am I?'

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 15-Oct-12 15:17:09

And yes to yes to 'THEY'. FFS.

They do this, they do that, they are visual learners, they don't like to be touched, they have trouble transitioning, they like to line things up, they like trains, they don't understand jokes.............................

Sometimes I actually wonder at the lack of empathy and social skills of the so called professionals working with children with autism. I've no doubt the majority of them care but I have some suspicions about how a good number of them became professionals in that area in the first place and they are not nice suspicions.

flowwithit Mon 15-Oct-12 16:27:57

Oh grin I really wish I had thought to ask that starlight as I wonder what 'the professional' would have said next....that would have been brilliant going to use that line next time.

perceptionreality Mon 15-Oct-12 16:30:15

frizzcat Mon 15-Oct-12 16:38:44

"they" does my head in - its like res flag to a bull - I can't help myself from saying "who's they"?
The best one was my df-inlaw saying "another year he'll be as good as the rest of them"
My response he's &@/#ing better than all of them now moron

UnChartered Mon 15-Oct-12 16:42:49

ah yes, 'the autistics' hmm

the ones that look ok, but aren't quite 'normal' angry

i have to bite my tongue very hard when talking to a certain parent-friend.

when i said dd has toys from last christmas she has never touched, and has only just started to play with a pram she was bought 3 years ago, it's not the same as your DD, who has taken over the dining room and conservatory with her own personal stock room of T R U <sigh>

eggandcress Mon 15-Oct-12 16:58:43

Amazingly HotheadPaisan my dd is visually impaired and I do get this comparison. I told her music teacher he needed to blow the music up but discretely as she does not like being different and he said: I don't know why I wear reading glasses!

I also hate hate hate 'they'. My MIL always says this and I feel furious with her but manage to keep it in.
Last time she visited she said,"they can't help fiddling with themselves and then they can't be taken out and have to go to institutions "shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now