Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

visitor stress (ASD)

(6 Posts)
creamteas Mon 15-Oct-12 10:41:18

Hi all,

My DD (15) has always stressed about new thing/changes etc but now she has reached the stage were she can't seem to tolerate anyone in the house at any time, even with advanced warning.

Her GP, who she sees regularly and is comfortable with at their house, now cause extreme stress if they enter our house. This is new as previously she would be fine with them visiting providing she knew in advance.

Anyone else had this? Any suggestions as to how to make her more comfortable. Or do we just have to ban visitors entirely which is tempting to be honest as I could get away with even less cleanings

creamteas Tue 16-Oct-12 20:02:59

anyone/

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 16-Oct-12 20:09:57

Banning visitors isn't really a workable option. How are you pre-warning her? What's her level of understanding?

creamteas Tue 16-Oct-12 20:47:02

There is no problem with understanding, DD is average academically. Expected visitors are always discussed in advance and written clearly onto the calendar.

This used to work ok, and known visitors (like GP) didn't used to cause any real issues. But now even a discussion leads to a meltdown, and when they are in the house, she will self-harm. In fact, known visitors at home seem to be causing more stress that new places/people outside of the home. Which is why I am at a loss.....

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 16-Oct-12 20:53:44

Oh dear. I don't think I can be of much help, then. My DS doesn't get anxious, just angry, but he always hates transitions. I used to do little cartoon strips for him as a timetable, but he's 13 and beyond that sort of thing now and is OK with putting things on his calendar. I suppose home is her safe place and visitors in her safe place are just plain wrong. Can she tell you why she finds them so stressful? Or would that discussion also be too stressful?

Hopefully someone will be along with some useful advice!

creamteas Tue 16-Oct-12 20:56:16

I've tried asking why, but she doesn't seem to be able to explain. Hoping this is a temporary thing because it is not very easy to manage....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now