Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

AS and team sports / activities

(7 Posts)

DS(8) wants to be a footballer when he grows up. However he has AS. He has been going to various school and holiday football camps for a couple of years and has now joined the local under 9 team. He looks really out of his depth. Training is fine, but in a game he just hangs back and waits to be told what to do, he doesn't anticipate what the others will do, or when to go forward, pass etc, in fact rarely gets near the ball. This is tolerated so far, but obviously is going to be a problem. I know there is no real likelihood of him becoming a pro, but don't want his dreams dashed quite yet, he does enjoy it.

Has anyone got any suggestions that could help both me and his coach (who is sympathetic and understanding).

It also worries me that school and other activities such as Cubs seem to be getting more and more team based as they get older, these problems are not going to be confined to football.

WofflingOn Sat 13-Oct-12 14:23:35

Mine never got the hang of team sports, so I can't help there. Archery, judo, kayaking and scouts have been very successful activities. He opts out of scout stuff if it something he can't deal with, and everyone has always been fine with that.
With anything he has to do, training 1:1 practising with me, running through scenarios and role playing helped. But it takes a lot of time and effort.

Chundle Sat 13-Oct-12 14:29:09

My dd has played since a very young age she was terrible when she started and is now very good age 8.5. She's a defender which is good position for her as she knows she stays in the back half on the left doesn't go forward of the halfway line and her job is to get the ball and boot it up other end of pitch. It has taken a lonnnggg time to get where we are now. But she's naturally aggressive so is a good tackler and hates to lose so the other team don't really stand much of a chance to get past her.
We took her up the park a lot and practised with her simple passing skills and it helped that her coach gave her a position and stuck to it from the start rather than moving her about that way she grew to learn exactly what was expected of her. Ask his coach to put him in one position all the time and maybe get him some books from library on basic skills and positions. My dd now plays for a centre of excellence so never say never about him being a pro!!! If he enjoys it stick with it!! My dd also needs a constant reminder to keep her eye on the ball. Good luck

whatthewhatthebleep Sat 13-Oct-12 16:38:35

there is always goal keeper too...
My DS enjoys individual sports and activities, swimming, badminton is good for team work 2 or 4 players, tennis same, archery...cross country if they are safe/ok outdoors but athletics is a good one too
My DS has never managed team/group things at all and is reluctant to try new things...I'm hoping to get him into horses and riding though....I think animals are therapeutic as well as great companions, etc. My DS is a bit too hands on so requires a lot of supervision with animals...he loves them though but we have tropical fish rather than any more dogs or anything furry at home....less stress for me to deal with!

babiki Sat 13-Oct-12 17:11:01

I have a lovely lady coming and trying to get ds to do a bit of sport and physio in a light funny ways, she is fantastic, and she wrote this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Exercise-Sport-People-Autism/dp/0956272908/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350144568&sr=8-1

MsNg Sat 13-Oct-12 17:55:54

DS is hopeless at team sports so far and limited in some things by hypermobility, but we have just discovered climbing which is great so long as he doesn't start thinking he is competing with the others in the group as he clams up if there's any pressure. The next thing we're going to try for him is dog agility as it won't be him under pressure to win he'll just be 'helping' the dog to do her best and also sailing as we can avoid the competitive side of that too.

Thanks for all your replies, I'm on a phone do please excuse non personal responses, it's hard to scroll.

Cubs so far is great, he can opt out of extra weekend activities no problem. Tennis - he played for two years but gave up this summer as it was getting harder and less fun. Climbing - he's triend and found it terrifying. Swimming he loves. Riding - there's a riding for disabled people nearby that I will try one of these days. Martial arts he won't try because he thinks he will get kicked in the head, but I'm going to suggest again.

I don't actually want to start anything else new at hhe moment, he clearly has enough on with school, cubs, football and swimming. I really want to give football the best try we can. Chundle - That's really encouraging about your DD, I will have a chat to the coach about positions. I will also look up the book one of you linked. DH is going to start doing some practice with him, I will too at some point but am unwell at the moment. I'm hoping some of it is just because he's still new to it, I've seen hin playing with friends and he gets stuck in well then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now