Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Which toys for DS baby please?

(6 Posts)
harassedandherbug Sat 13-Oct-12 09:47:36

Was talking about Christmas presents with my dil yesterday for my 4mth old grandson who has DS. There are so many lovely toys out there, but which would you recommend?

I was looking at a Lamaze tummy time mat that's on offer at the moment, good idea? He's not quite got control of his head yet.

SallyBear Sat 13-Oct-12 11:05:03

Something that would attract his attention and get him to lift his head. Mats are great, but a toy with lights and music would be good too

sneezecakesmum Sun 14-Oct-12 12:34:49

Sounds a good idea. DS babies usually have low tone, so need to build strength in their trunk and neck. If you combine this with the bright noisy toys that all babies enjoy you cant go wrong.

sonora Sun 14-Oct-12 14:09:04

My ds has DS although far from a baby and almost five! When he was your grandsons age he had those soft rattles that you can velcro around their arms and legs to encourage movements, a playmat that had different textures on that he could feel as he wriggled around and also cause and effect toys were great to help with tummy time......anything where they can press and the toy lights up or makes a noise.

One of the best things someone put together for me was a sensory basket filled with items such as different textured materials, shakers and lots of random but fun and little enough to grab and hold stuff.

harassedandherbug Mon 15-Oct-12 21:35:50

Thank you!

I have big age gaps (23, 21, 6 & 10months lol) so I'm able to pass lots on. Dgc already has ds3's wrist and ankle rattles, and other bits and bobs. I'll get the play mat, and I love the idea of a sensory basket.

Had a bit of good news today. The council are rehoming them to a lovely area grin

proudmum74 Tue 16-Oct-12 18:52:33

Hi - great news on them being rehomed!

When my DD was about the same age as your DGS she used to love her mirror looked a bit like this and we got it from Boots - we used to place it in front of her play mat to encourage her to lift her head. She's now 2.5 yr and still loves it, and often waves to herself & kisses her reflection (I may need to start worrying about her becoming too vain! wink )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now